Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper-V restore question with GRT

RoddersB
Level 4

Hi,

Hopefully a nice simple question......

I am using Backup Exec 2010 R2 on Windows Server 2008 R2 with the Hyper-V agent and GRT switched on, backing up straight to tape.

I need to restore a file from one of the virtual machines (a file server) but it fails with an error "e000848f Insufficient disk space". My question is do I need to have a staging area the size of the virtual machine before the file can be successfully restored ?

I've looked around and can't find the definitive answer on this one.

Many thanks for looking.....

Brian.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Oops sorry yes did mean vhd files - spent too much time looking at VMware (which would have the same problem)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver

Note 100% sure - you definetely need the size of the VMDK that the file is in as it has to pull the complete VMDK back to mount it. The bit I am not sure about is if you have multiple vmdk if it has to pull them all back.

Note because of staging requirements and performance we recommend Backup to disk jobs  for GRT operations - with duplicate to tape for complete DR purposes.

RoddersB
Level 4

Many thanks for your reply - I'm presuming you mean the VHD files ?

It's what I thought which is going to be a bit strange having that much spare disk capacity vacant just in case !

Brian.

Colin_Weaver

Oops sorry yes did mean vhd files - spent too much time looking at VMware (which would have the same problem)