Did you mean: 

Hyper-v without Hyper-v add-on?

Mr_Wiki
Level 4

Backup Exec 12.5

Hyper-V.

No Hyper-V add on.

Question,

I am having trouble with Windows backup (using this as we do not have the Hyper-V add on). So was wondering if I can backup all the hyper-v files (.avhd, .vhd, .xml, .vsv) without the add on by backing up the server they reside?  

What would be the downsides to running like this as apposed to having the hyper-v add on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can, but you would have to shutdown all the VM before the the backup begins.  If you use the agent, then the agent will quiese the VM's and then back them up, i.e. back them up on the fly.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

NeerThadarai
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

That would not be a good idea. However, you can do the backup of those files by shutting down the Virtual Machine. If you are planning to do some test with that option, you can always use in the evaluation mode for 60 days.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can, but you would have to shutdown all the VM before the the backup begins.  If you use the agent, then the agent will quiese the VM's and then back them up, i.e. back them up on the fly.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi Hyperv add on mean you are talking about hyperv migration were one virtual machine is moved to different host in cluster & you want to know if backup exec is going to support that right

Thank You

Mr_Wiki
Level 4

Right ok I think I get it from what you say phk, I can backup the hyper V servers ONLY if they are off.

But can not back them up while in use without the Hyper-V add on.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

No Hyper-V add-on as in No Hyper-V agent license...

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Yes with hyperv agent without hyperv addon you can backup the virtual machines in online state too 

Thank You

Mr_Wiki
Level 4

Your saying you can backup Hyper V while they are running without the Hyper V agent?

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi 

You can backup hpyerv with hyperv agent so I mean to say you can backup those vhd on hyperv using hyperv agent when they are in running state & not in the scenario were you are using hyperv add on 

Thank You

CraigV

Hi Mr. Wiki,

I think itsmeaffinity is a bit mistaken...the reason for an agent is to do an online backup. This is true of Exchange, Lotus Notes, SQL, VMware etc. Without it, you need to stop your applications/VMs (in which case you need to shut them down), and THEN back them up.

The reason for the agent is that it allows you to access those resources in use by another application...so without the Hyper-V agent, you've going to get errors if you try to back them up. I've never seen ANYTHING anywhere on the forums, Internet of TNs from Symantec stating you don't need their agents to back up particular resources...same from any other backup company.

Thanks!

PaulF
Level 3

Why can't he just snapshot the hypervisor's filing system hosting the VM before backing up..?  The Advanced Open File option should take care of this surely?

Mr_Wiki
Level 4

THANKS

For your response and clearing this up Craig,

I can't give more than one solution per 'thread' otherwise I would also mark yours as a solution.

CraigV

No worries...pkh mentioned it first, and mine was simply an explanation of how it all works... :)