cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am having an issue restoring an old users mail box to a harddrive that is not on our exchange server.

GusZed
Not applicable

I have been requested by my HQ to restore an old employee’s email account for the past year to DVD. I have been working on this issue all day and keep getting the same error. I have also been reading thru all of these forums all day without seeing exactly what I am trying to do.

Error I am receiving: Error : e000848c - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.

I have verified that there is enough free disk space on the external drive that I have plugged into the unit that is running Symantec Backup Exec 12.5

This disk is mounted and I am able to write to it. The Symantec application also sees the drive I am trying to write when I am setting up the restore job.

Steps I am talking:
launching Symantec Backup Exec
Clicking on Restore
under Source I am clicking on view by media and choosing the tape I want to restore from. (I have verified that the tape is in the slot)
I go ahead and choose the Storage group that contain the email box I am looking for
I run the test under Resource Credentials (everything passes successfully)
Under the Destination tab I click on File Redirection and point it to the local external drive I have plugged in ( in this case it is the H drive)
After this I hit run and I receive the error above.

From what I understand is when you do get the storage group restored to a drive you are then able to extra the exact mailbox you are looking for. (if I am mistaken please let me know)

Our exchange server is MS 2003R2 running MS Exchange 2007.

Can someone please point me in the right direction of resolving this issue? I have been banging my head all day trying to get this to work. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also if this question has already been answer I am sorry for reposting in advances. If you need any more information about our system please let me know.

thank you
-Gus

1 REPLY 1

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Are you performing a redirect restore of the mailbox?

The best way would be:
Create a test account on Exchange and perform a redirected restore on the newly created test mailbox.