cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have to create a job

aleddie1
Level 2

I have to create a job schedule to backup 200+ GB (new at the position and found a messy backup strategy). Last night could load 172+ GB to a 300 GB tape (Dell RD 1000), but when reached that figure, stopped asking for an overwritable media. It happened twice and I chose both options:"Append and overwrite if not appendable..." and "Overwrite", but got the same result.

The media was "Removable Disk to Folder1". Any idea will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

RD1000 160 media  is rated at 160/320GB

This means you can get 160 GB without compression and 320 with 2:1 compression.  You will rarely if ever achieve this in the real world  Most folks average in the 1.2-1.3:1 range

172 GB on on volume is rather low, but anything over 160 shows that compression IS working

You either need to buy larger media or split your jobs and backup data on alternate nights

aleddie1
Level 2

I trust you, but strange was the first night, last Wedneday set a job, and loaded 238 GB in a single tape, how can be possible one day does it and no the other? My problem is I have to it all remotely (FL-AR, very far indeed) and depending on an assistant to change tapes. I will check if all tapes have the same capacity.

Thanks.