Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to shorten the backup windows time

oferk
Not applicable

smiley

HI

I have a backup exec 2010 R3 installed on windows 2008 r2 and local disks for deduplication backup

All the other servers with the data are virtual and stored on a SAN Storage

The backup server has 2 Ethernet ports creating a 2 GB in teaming but it isn't enought.

My question is , if i will connect the backup server directly to the storage with 2 6GB sas cards will I be able to backup directly on the storage much more faster or it will continue to work threw the ethernet cards

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If you are backing up remote servers, you will always use the LAN. Unless you have a SAN in place where you can share storage, local DAS disk will always run the backups using your LAN!

Thanks!

ilyasozsarac
Level 2
Partner Accredited

If you map the vmfs luns to backupexec server to access them and select the virtual machines under the "Vmware vCenter and ESX Servers" (if there is vmware) in the selection list, backup will use SAN and more faster.

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

Two helpful articles if you would like to backup using the AVVI option with the san transport mode

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH155831

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH185691

teiva-boy
Level 6

Yup Imaged based VMware backups are the ticket when over the SAN.  

Additionally, Direct Access for the clients for backup to the dedupe store, as well as more concurrent streams to the dedupe store.  

If you are saying you use SAS connected based SAN, and NOT FC or iSCSI, you will have to test that.  That is not a very wide spread SAN technology.  It's more JBOD than anything for the rest of the world.  So you'll want to test test test.  The HCL and B2D will not address this when it comes to Vmware backups.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you just revived a 5 month-old topic...? surprise