cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IBM Robotic Library goes Offline when changing media type?

Bob_Scott
Not applicable
Ok, today I go into work to run full backups for end of year. I put 3 new LTO type 2 100/200GB tapes in our IBM 3580 Robotic tape drive.
I do an inventory on all 3 tapes, and move them online. I look at the capacity and they are marked as 8.8 GB. This was nothing unusual because I have noticed this before on all of our LTO tapes.

I just started with this company a few weeks ago, and I have not had time to try and resolve this issue. Anyway, I go to media manager, and noticed the media is set to 4mm type tape. Ahh, I say here's the problem and change the media type to LTO apply, and go to run my full backup.

Right away the job fails, and the IBM 3580 goes offline. Crap, I stop and restart the services to no avail until I changed the media type back to 4mm.

To make an already long story short, how do I set the correct media type for our LTO tapes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1 REPLY 1

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello Bob,

Do you have the bar code reader enabled on the Device? If yes, have you also enabled the Bar codes in backup Exec and created rules for the same?

Please check out for any Event ID 5s, 7s, 9s, 11s, and 15s that may occur on system startup, or during backup.

Also, ensure that the latest device Drivers and the SCSI firmware and the drivers have been installed.