cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDR and *.DR file

Level 3
Hello
I´m going to use IDR on a HP DL380 G4 server.
There is no Floppy drive in that model.
My question then, is there a way to change the location of where the IDR process ask for the .dr file. By default it promts for a:\

Best regards

Mikael Brandrup
Avansys AB
4 REPLIES 4

ashwin_pawar
Level 6
Change the alternate DR path to any other location.By default its set to A:/ drive.
Tools> Options> Intelligent Disaster Recovery.

Even if the system dosent have floppy dirve ,you can create bootable CD instead of floppy for IDR process.

Level 3
Well thank you.
So what you are saying is that I should provide an alternate path to another server on my LAN where I should store the *DR file? Could I reach that alternate path from within the recovery process?

I have created a bootable CD, It is when I go through the recovery process that it prompts for A:\ to provide a diffrent *DR file. I suppose IDR works liike the changes are only made in the *DR file so I don´t have to make a new CD after every backup. Just store the *DR file somewhere else so I can use it with my bootable CD when I really need to recover.

//Micke

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
Since you do not have floopy drive, you may use the following workaround.

Use a third party ISO editor to edit the ISO file created by Backup Exec and insert the newest disaster recovery file.

When creating the bootable media, Backup Exec can create an ISO image for use with CD creation software to create an IDR CD. The ISO image can be edited before putting it on a CD using third party software. Once the ISO is editable, the SERVERNAME.dr file can be inserted into the image and then burned to a CD. For this procedure, the ISO should only be burned if needed, and the latest .dr file should be inserted before the CD is created. This method will also eliminate the need for floppy disks.

We hope this helps.

Jason_Rasmussen
Level 3
This seems like a lot of work for something that should be "intelligent". Floppy drives are dead. When will all this be automated and what program do we use to do this?