cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDR and Dynamic Disks on 2000 Server - Need clear answers

Level 2
Hi,

Thought IDR would be a good solution using bootable tape at one of our small remote sites. Did a test first...

IDR Wizard completed OK.
Backup completed OK
Boot from tape started OK - IDR screen displayed - Windows setup started - Used F6 to add driver - All drivers loaded - Setup fails at the point where a standard Windows install would ask for partition info.

Windows 2000sp4
Backup Exec 9.1 sp2 + hotfix
OS on Basic disk on IDE0
Highpoint Mirror as dynamic disk

My questions are...

1. Does IDR support dynamic disks?
2. Will a non-OS dynamic disk cause IDR to fail?
3. If IDR does not support dynamic disks, why doesn't the wizard say so?
4. When will this bug be fixed?

I have talked to another admin who stopped his test at the IDR boot screen and so didn't realize this problem existed. How many other users will only find this problem when they need to recover?!!!!!!
2 REPLIES 2

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
This technote would confirm what you have mentioned.
Title: Backup Exec Intelligent Disaster Recovery (IDR) can not recover dynamic disks managed by Volume Manager or Microsoft Logical Disk Manager as part of a typical IDR restore process
http://support.veritas.com/docs/253745.
If you feel this information should be part of the information in the wizard please feel free to add an enhancement request for the same
You may subscribe on the foll link for the same:
Title:-
"VERITAS E-mail Notification Service"

Level 2
Yes I will put in a request. I think it is poor that Veritas IDR does not support this and what is worse is that no errors are reported in the IDR wiard.

By comparison, the free TapeWare software that came with this drive has an IDR that...

does work with dynamic disks
does not require the installation CD
does load all the drivers needed (even with no dynamic disks BE has a problem with some controllers with only a tape drive attached)
is simple to use and requires minimal user intervention.

For our remote office gateway servers we will use TapeWare. I never thought that Veritas would beform poorly compared to free software.