cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDR and Windows 2000 key

Joe_Trotter
Level 3
I recently ran a IDR with floppy disks on a Dell notebook with W2K installed, I would like to know why it asked me for a specific product key? Can I not use any product key for W2K? I had to skip that step, will that cuase complications during a restore?

When I try to restore is it going to want the product key that is written into the registry?

The problem is with DELL OEM CD's the product key is not asked for during a setup of the O/S. The product key on the bottom of the notebook is for XP.

Thanks, Joe
8 REPLIES 8

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer to the following :

The following items are required to create and update IDR media with Backup Exec 10.0 version.

1. Available tape for full backup of server
2. Operating System (OS) installation CD/files
3. Product Key from OS installation CD/files
4. Blank CD-R or CD-RW
5. Software to burn the ISO image to CD
6. Floppy diskettes (usually 2 are needed)

And this product key is the key to the OS. It is a 25-Character code. This is required during creation of IDR media.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Joe_Trotter
Level 3
How would I know what product key is being used by a DELL recovery CD?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Do you want to know what is th eproduct key of the DELL recovery CD?
If so then you will have to contact DELL support to get the details.

If our understanding regarding your issue is incorrect please elaborate.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Joe_Trotter
Level 3
Well actually my original questions have not been answered. Please re-read them and you will see what I am asking.

Joe

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

ok answering to your original query, please use the original Win2k install key that you used on the server where you are running the idr wizard.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Joe_Trotter
Level 3
So the key it is asking for is from the server?

I am making a IDR of remote W2K PC's, I assumed it wanted those key's.

You are saying when I run a IDR from the server it is asking for that server key regardless of the platform I am doing the IDR on?

Thanks, Joe

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

We apologize for the confusion. KDey is required of the machine of which you are performing the IDR. You will need the key of the remote server in this case.

Additional Information :

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Joe_Trotter
Level 3
Thank you