cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDR on Dynamic Disk System Drive - Win2k3 - BE 10.0.2250

Leeth_Papajamon
Level 3
I have a failing main system drive on a Windows 2003 machine running BE v10.0.2250 with all the latest service packs and hot fixes installed. System drive is a 18 GB SCSI drive using the full drive as a single partition. Target empty replacement drive is identicle brand, model, size.

After I perform a full system backup of the C:\ drive only and all system state fiels, etc. I create the boot CD image with associated ASR files stored on the disk.

I remove my original drive and replace it with the new target drive.

However, when I boot up, press F2 for ASR, load the ASR files, and choose mytarget drive, it states that the drive is too small and it can't restore the partition.

I ensured that there was no partition on the target drive and in actuality when I look at the two drives, the target drive is actually a little larger. I don't mind the target restore becoming a basic partition type b/c I can just change that later. However, I am concerned that the whole restore process won't happen no matter what size drive I choose. Is this because the original drive was dynamic?

My only other option is to convert the dynamic disk back to basic via low-level editing of the volume or use another program to create an image of a dynamic disk (Ghost Enterprise or Acronis). Either way I will probably make the new system disk Basic partition format and not Dynamic.... for reduced future headaches.

-Leeth
1 REPLY 1

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused because of the delayed response. Pleases let us know if your issue / problem is resolved so that we can archive this post.

However, if the issues still persist then refer to the steps mentioned below:

For successful IDR recovery, the hardware must be identical to the original computer except for hard disks, video cards, and network interface cards (NICs).

If you plan to change the hardware in the computer being recovered, note the following:

� Hard drives - Any hard drive you use should be the same size or larger than the original drive; otherwise
repartitioning problems may occur.

Is it possible to recover a full backup to a computer with different hardware using the Intelligent Disaster Recovery option?
http://support.veritas.com/docs/191461

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.