cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDR windows 2003.

adam_staub
Level 3
I'm trying to restore a windows 2003 server using IDR. Having a heck of a time doing this. I'm able to restore windows 2000 server boxes with no problems. What is happening is when I insert the IDR CD and boot(hit F2). I never get the option to partition my had drives. The whole drive is formatted and setup as the C(System) drive. When the server reboot and starts the GUI portion of the setup it will fail with Logical Disk Manager failure locating the old disk containing partition for the subdisk. I assume this is because there isn't any space on the drive to create other volumes. Can't I repartition my drive space when restoring windows 2003 like I can using window 2000?

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

I would like to know while performing IDR process, are you providing SCSI drivers ?

If not, I request you to refer to the following technote:

How to restore a Windows server using the Intelligent Disaster Recovery Option in Backup Exec 9.x
http://support.veritas.com/docs/262134

Please read the explanation given after Figure 2 and try.

Hope this helps you.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

adam_staub
Level 3
I'm restoring from scsi to IDE. Still get the error. If I restore to a scsi disk subsystem; Windows 2003 has the driver built into the intall. It does 'see' the hard drive. Formats it, copies the files etc......

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Can you tell the exact error message that occurs while performing IDR?

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

adam_staub
Level 3
Logical Disk manager failure locating old disk containing partition for the subdisk

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please answer the foll questions:

1. Have you created .asr files?

Please note:For Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 computers, Windows Automated System
Recovery (ASR) configuration information files (asr.sif and asrpnp.sif). The ASR files are necessary to recreate partitions on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
computers during the recovery process.

2. Are you using dynamic disks?

Thanks,

adam_staub
Level 3
The ASR files are on the CD that is being used to Restore the server. The disks are dynamic.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Be does not support dynamic disks so you can do a manual recovery and then restore from the backups,the following links may be useful:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/261700

BE admin guide link:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/269777
(page:614)

Thanks,

adam_staub
Level 3
The system I'm restoring does not have dynamics disks. The system I'm backing up is dynamic.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

What is the partition structure on the disk that was backed up

If the drive letters assigned to the boot and system partitions by the Windows Setup program are not the same as they were in the original layout, they are changed back to the original by the Disaster Recovery Wizard. If the boot and system partition layouts are not compatible with the original layout, the disks are not repartitioned. The disks can be manually repartitioned later by using Windows Disk Administrator.

For example, on the pre-disaster computer, partition C was the boot partition on the first disk and partition D was the system partition on the second disk. When the boot media was created, the Let IDR automatically partition the boot and system drive during restore option was not selected. During disaster recovery, the disks are replaced and in the new configuration, partition C is the boot partition as well as the system partition. In
this case, since the drive layouts are not compatible, the disks will not be repartitioned.

Only basic disks and upgraded dynamic disks (upgraded from basic) are supported. However, any partitions created after upgrading the basic disks to dynamic are not supported. After disaster recovery, the disks that were upgraded dynamic disks will be basic, but can later be upgraded to dynamic by using the Windows Disk Administrator.

To allow IDR to automatically partition the boot and system drives for a Windows 2000 computer during recovery and to restore any utility partitions that existed, select the option Let IDR automatically partition the boot and system drive during restore

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.