cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IS Backup Exec support the volume which is consisted by multiple LUN?

zhongjun
Level 3

Whether the BE support the backup scene, which the volume is consisted by multiple LUN?

As follows:

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you using multi-Lun inside a virtual machine or is this intended to be a standard agent backup?

Standard Agent backup looks at the file system and does not really look at the LUN config. Although you would have to manually adjust the disk layout to do an SDR restore if you had a requirement to restroe the whoel server from a failure)

I am not 100% Sure of the affect if it is a virtual agent backup of a machine with this config inside it.

zhongjun
Level 3

I am using multi-Lun inside a virtula machine.

BE installed in a virtual machine.
Is it right? BE does not support backing up the volumes that is dynamic disk.

for example disk2、disk3、disk5 --〉I:( BE_Backup.jpg)

zhongj
Not applicable

Is it right? BE does not support backing up the volumes that is dynamic disk.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

What are those disks that you have spanned the volumes over

a) iSCSI LUNs attached into the operating system of the virtula machine

b) VMware RDM disks configured into the virtual machine

c) VMware standard disks in vmdk files located in one or more datastores attached into the Virtual machine

d) something else

Also is the I: drive a GPT format or MBR?

There is a section in the BE 2014 (and BE 2012) Software compatibility list under the Agent for VMware Compatibility section which discusses support of different partitition or volume structures and clearly states that Dynamic Disks are supoported for MBR, unless a RAID 5 implementation is is use, and that GRT capability of GPT formatted volumes is not supported for either Basic or Dymamic volumes

This section also discusses capabilities/limitations for RDM disks

It does not discuss iSCSI disks attached into the operating system of the VM, however as these disks cannot be snapshotted by teh VMware Backup API they cannot be protecde by a VMware agent backup.