cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISA 2006 Upgrade and Backup Exec 10.0

Crystal_Adminis
Level 4
We recently upgraded our ISA server from ISA 2004 to ISA 2006. When using ISA 2004 Backup Exec 10.0 was able to back up data from the server without any problems. After the upgrade the backup job fails with the following error:

The job failed with the following error: The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.

It appears that this error would normally include a directory or file name specific to the problem, however we do not get this information.

When running a test job from Backup Exec, the test is successful. I can monitor the traffic on the ISA server machine and see the traffic coming through for the Veritas RA protocol. The failure only occurs when the actual job runs.

I've also deleted and recreated the selection lists and jobs, this did not help the problem.

The account being used to back up data has full administrative rights.

Any help with this issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
17 REPLIES 17

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please paste the exact error message to further troubleshoot the issue.

Thanks,

Crystal_Adminis
Level 4
Error message follows:

Job ended: Monday, January 01, 2007 at 2:55:17 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084af - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.
Final error category: Job Errors

Thanks,
Duane

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Does the backupExec service account have rights to all files and dirs on the ISA server?

If you logon to the media server as the Service Account, and do a run now, does the backup complete successfully?

Crystal_Adminis
Level 4
Ken, as noted in the first post the service account has full administrative rights to everything on and about the machine. Logging in as the service account has no effect on the outcome of the backup job.

Thanks,
Duane

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sorry - I saw "and see the traffic coming through for the Veritas RA protocol. The failure only occurs when the actual job runs." and thought that you meant that the test job ran successfully.

What happens if you turn on Detailed Logging for one run? Should show where the "error" is occuring

Crystal_Adminis
Level 4
Ken, the test job does run successfully. I will try the logging options when the days backups complete, thanks for your help with this.

Duane

Damien_Fauve
Not applicable
Hi,

We have exactly the same problem here. We are not able to backup ISA anymore since we upgraded the firewall from 2004 to 2006. It was working well before the upgrade. Any news on this?

Thanks

Damien

Crystal_Adminis
Level 4
Ken,

After this weekend I checked our debugging logs and the error, unfortunately is still not specific, it follows:

01/06/07 02:31:35 LP_ENV::MsgError: error 0xe00084af processing object

If anyone has figured this out, please let us know, it's much appreciated.

Thanks.

Chris_Scott
Not applicable
I am also suffering the same problem, and have yet to figure it out either :(

Crystal_Adminis
Level 4
Seems to be a common issue. Has anyone found a workaround or fix for this? Namely MS or Veritas/Symantec?

Nikolay_Manushi
Level 3
I have same problem.
I use CSS+ISA2004 and Replica CSS+ISA2004.
When using ISA 2004 Backup Exec 10.0 was able to back up data from the server without any problems.

I install CSS+ISA 2006 on one server and Replica CSS+ISA2006 on another server. (all servers and OS are same)

From CSS+ISA 2006 backup job fails with the same error.
But from Replica CSS+ISA 2006 backup job pass without any problems

any idea?

Brandon_Clark
Level 2
Try editing the system policy. Look for the policy(s) with Netbios Protocols, and RPC then allow from internal to the local host, my problem wasn't the same but close and it worked for me.

Brandon

Nikolay_Manushi
Level 3
CSS + ISA2006 and replica CSS + ISA 2006 in one array.
So system policy are same for all servers in array.
backup fails jobs only from CCS+ISA2006
Also I try to creat policy: allow all protocols for internel and local host to internal and local host.

Worksop_College
Level 3
I seem to be having the same problem with ISA Server 2006 and Backup Exec 10. (Win2K3 Sp1 Server), the error is 0xe00084af Directory or file not found and the link to additional info, V-79-57344-33967 isn't helpfull as it it all applies to software I haven't got.

Interestingly I am able to backup the Shadow copy components though as soon as I try and backup any data on the disk, even a single file which I tried it fails

I to also tried the "Allow all protocols for all uses from internal/local host to internal/local host policy" thing and there's no joy.
StuMessage was edited by:
Worksop College

Nikolay_Manushi
Level 3
I solve this problem.
On production servers I use Backupexec v10.0.5484+SP5.
On test server I install Backupexec v10.1.5629+SP3. From that system I install backupec agent to ISA server. After that backup job run without errors from my pruduction server (Backupexec v10.0.5484+SP5)

Same problem (backup job failed with the following error: The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed) happen when install Service Pack 2 on SQL2005. This problem solve similarly

Worksop_College
Level 3
Hmm... Well I'm runnign 10.0 Rev 5520. I suppose that that some upgrading to a higher version may yield some results. Whilst I'll have to wait until Easter hol's to do it (minimises disruption if it really goes wrong) it can't hurt I suppose. I'm a bit between the two versions you listed so I'll have to see what happens

Nikolay_Manushi
Level 3
You can try install test server ISA2006. First install "old" backup exec agent and try backup, then install "new" backup exec agent and try backup (make backup to disk).