cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Icompatible Media Type Error

Jeremy_Flint
Level 3
We have an OnStream DI-30 with 30GB ADR tapes.

About a week ago, I started receiving an error when I would try to run a backup. Something about the Media was incompatible with the Robotic Drive or something like that.

Problem is, we are using a Stand-alone tape drive, not a Robotic drive.

Nothing has been changed on the server. No updates to the OS or to BackupExec.

Now, whenever I do stick a tape in to try and get it labeled or mounted, it just gets spit right back out at me.
8 REPLIES 8

Kevin_Burd
Level 4
Check to see the locale of the device on the devices tab and confirm by going into the device configuration wizard. If it is listed under a robotic library, drag it back to a standalone. If not delete the device and run device config wiz again to reinstall

Vidyaj__Patneka
Level 6
Hi,

The Onstream DI-30 is not listed in the Hardware compatibility list and hence will not be supported in backup exec 10.0 version.

You may refer the technote,
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/274347.htm

Jeremy_Flint
Level 3
Actually, it had been supported using the OEM drivers, not the Veritas Drivers. The drive was working correctly up until this happened.

Kevin_Burd
Level 4
can you erase the tape? I had a similar problem with interuse between a DLT1 and a DLT4000. The tape would spit out. I had to erase the tape and "reformat" it.

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi,

You may also try running a repair database if teh media is good. In order to veify that, please perform anerase job on the meida and verify the results.

Please update us on the issue so that If the issue still persists we can troubleshoot the issue further.

If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be presumed to be answered and will be marked as assumed answered and archived.

Thanks.

Jeremy_Flint
Level 3
unfortunately, i do not have the option to reformat tapes with the DI-30.

I will try the repair database option and see if that solves the problem.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
Please let us know if your problem is solved. Did the repair Database help?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Jeremy_Flint
Level 3
I came to the conclusion that our tape drive went bad. It was still being detected by the computer, but I think the tape heads may have stopped working properly.