Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implementation of Backup exec

wmujawar
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I am implementing symantec back up exec 2010. I have an exchange, sql and file server.

Where should i deploy the media server. Do i have to run the media sever dvd on all these server locally and deploy their respective agents or Should I run the media server on a standalone computer with windows 2003 and than push agents via remote installation.

Please help!!

8 REPLIES 8

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You can install the media server on the standalone server and then can push the agents on the remote servers, no need to run the dvd on all the remote servers. While pushing the agent you can select multiple servers to get the remote agent installed at one go.

Also consider the fact that if you are using exchange 2010 or plannning to upgrade to it in future then install the BE on  * 64 bit platform.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Depends on what you have...if you don't have a spare server, then install BE onto the server running Exchange 2010 as this will need to be an x64 server anyway. If any of the other servers are x64-capable, then I'd recommend putting BE onto them, and pushing the agents out to the rest.

the only reasoning behind this is that Exchange 2010 seems to be a massive resource hog of note! It grabs whatever it can!

Furthermore, when creating backup jobs, keep data and your DBs separate...use AOFO when backing up data, and don't use AOFO when backing up all your databases as it is known to cause some issues.

After installing the media server, run LiveUpdate and download/install any patches. Once done, THEN roll out the RAWS agents.

Thanks!

Idimple
Level 4

Hello,

Please find the documents below,

Step By Step guide to download and Install Backup Exec 2010 R3

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH159346&actp=search&viewlocale=en_...

About installing the Exchange Agent

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO24127&actp=search&viewlocale=de_...

Best practices for Backup Exec 2010 Agent for Microsoft SQL Server

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO21793&actp=search&viewlocale=en_...

wmujawar
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks for your support. Do I have to buy a Windows system remote agent to push the exchange/sql/file server agent from the standalone server?

Also I  would be backing up the data from the exchange/sql/file server to this standalone server and then push it to a tape drive. For this I have procurred the ADBO option. Is my strategy correct?

Pls reply.

sksujeet
Level 6

Thanks for your support. Do I have to buy a Windows system remote agent to push the exchange/sql/file server agent from the standalone server?

Also I  would be backing up the data from the exchange/sql/file server to this standalone server and then push it to a tape drive. For this I have procurred the ADBO option. Is my strategy correct?

How BE works :

You should have the BE installed on a dedicated server and remote agents on the remote server. Remote servers are the servers that you want to take backup. All the licenses will go to the BE server and on all the remote servers you would push the remote agent from the BE server. You have to purchase the license for Exchange and SQL and those license will also be installed on the BE server. It is only the remote agent that gets installed on the remote servers.

You have to purchase the remote agents depending upon number of remote servers you want to backup. You also get a remote agent free with every purhcase of database license but please check with licensing to make sure.

You don't need ADBO for this as data flows from the remote server to the BE server and then to tape drive that is connected to your BE server

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Do I have to buy a Windows system remote agent to push the exchange/sql/file server agent from the standalone server?

No, each dtabase agent includes a RAWS

Also I  would be backing up the data from the exchange/sql/file server to this standalone server and then push it to a tape drive.

B2D2T can work well.  lets your data backup to disk at higher speeds during the backup window and then Duplicate to tape locally with no network impact

wmujawar
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks, Then what is the benefit of ADBO option? I have read that it enables Offhost back up:  This feature enables the backup operation to be processed on a Backup Exec media server instead of on the remote computer, or host computer. Moving the backup from the remote computer to a media server
enables better backup performance and frees the remote computer as well.

Please explain.

sksujeet
Level 6

You are right and it should be only used if your remote server is very busy and if yuo don't want it to perform the task:

ADBO can help to do offhost backup and you have to purchase a LICENSE FOR it.

Offhost backup. This feature enables the backup operation to be processed on
a Backup Exec media server instead of on the remote computer, or host
computer. Moving the backup from the remote computer to a media server

From the ADMIN GUIDE:

About the Advanced Disk-based Backup Option
The Advanced Disk-based Backup Option (ADBO) is installed as a separate, add-on
component of Backup Exec.
The Advanced Disk-based Backup Option provides the following features:
■ Synthetic backup. This feature uses a policy to enable a full backup to be
assembled, or synthesized, from a baseline and subsequent incremental backups
that are also contained in a policy.
The benefits of using a synthetic backup include the following:
■ A reduced backup window since the synthetic backup can be scheduled
outside of the time-critical backup window.
■ Reduced network traffic since the synthetic backup does not need to access
the network.
■ True image restore. This feature enables Backup Exec to restore the contents
of directories to what they were at the time of any full or incremental backup.
Restore selections are made from a view of the directories as they existed at
the time of the particular backup. Files that were deleted before the time of
the backup are not restored. In true image restore, only the correct versions
of files are restored from the appropriate full or incremental backups that
contain them. Previous versions are not unnecessarily restored and then
overwritten.
■ Offhost backup. This feature enables the backup operation to be processed on
a Backup Exec media server instead of on the remote computer, or host
computer. Moving the backup from the remote computer to a media server