cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Catalogs BE 8.6 -> BE 11d

J_Peralta
Level 4
I've just installed and setup BE 11d and I'm trying to find a way to import the catalogs from the old version 8.6. The 8.6 files are .U01 and the 11d files are .XML.

BE 8.6 doesn't have beutility.exe to export them. I've tried various other suggestions for previous versions with no success. I've searched this support site and multiple others and nothing has been of much help. Any assistance is definitely appreciated.

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Install v8.6 on a PC (doesn't have to be a server), and copy all the U01 files to the \Catalogs directory, then stop all the BackupExec services and delete the BETOPCAT.idx file. this will force BackupExec to reindex the catalogs when it is restarted

Upgrade to v9.x or v10.x in demo mode

Upgrade that to v11d (also in demo mode)

Stop backupExec on both servers and copy the catalog files (from the previous step) to your new production v11d server and restart the services

You should see all the Restore selections now. You may need to inventory each volume tho - I seem to remember this requirement from the v10 import process

J_Peralta
Level 4
Thanks for your help. Sorry for the delay in response. I'm going to try to find the download for 9.x and 10.x demos in order to try this.

If anyone has a link to either of those files or any other suggestions in addition to the one above, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
v10d is here

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/279332.htm

v9.1 is here

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264658.htm

Joshua_Kane
Level 6
Employee
Ken is spot on with his recommendation. I would suggest going from 8.6 to 10d. There is no upgrade preformed on the catalog files between version 10d and 11d, where there would be an additional upgrade preformed between the 9.x and 11.x catalogs.

J_Peralta
Level 4
Ok, Awesome. I'm going to do this today. Thanks for all your help.

J_Peralta
Level 4
I've followed the steps that you've posted and it seems to have worked for the most part.

The only way I can see all the backup selections however, is to go thru the "Restore Job Wizard". If you don't go thru the wizard and simply click on "Restore" only some of the selections show up. Is this what you meant by "you may need to inventory each volume"? If so, it seems that we'll have to inventory each tape which would be quite time consuming. Have I done something wrong or is this just the way it is?

In addition, we have a Snap Server running Gaurdian OS 4.2.054 which is basically a modified Linux Kernel. In 11d, after the upgrade process some weekly full backup catalogs that reference the Snap server are duplicating various directories listed in that particular catalog. Some of these duplicate directories have the same contents but some have only partial contents compared to the other. It only seems to affect Full backups that were on the Snap server and not all of them are like this. I have gone back and compared these same catalogs on the server running BE 8.6 and they only list the particular directory once. Differential backup catalogs from this same server seem to be unaffected. From what I've seen everything else looks normal. Any ideas with this one?

I appreciate your help Ken. You've been timely and effective.

Thanks also to Joshua and anyone else who provides help

Joshua_Kane
Level 6
Employee
J.

the duplicate entries you are seeing may be related to the older "Partialized" style of catalog headers that were used in the 8.6 days. The other reason might be because your snap server is a Linux OS base, and unlinke Windows that is a case sensitve O/S so you may see a duplicate entry for two identical directories that are capatalized diffrently such as Windows and windows.

Joshua Kane
Symantec

Backup Exec for Windows Servers Free E-mail Support
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/email_forms/intro_emailsup.asp