cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import HP Data Protector Express 3.5 Backup tapes into Backup Exec 2010

tupshaw
Not applicable
We recently purchased Backup Exec along with a new LTO-4 drive and tapes.  This unit is replacing an HP Data Protector Express system that has had issues since installation.

When I insert a tape created with HP DPE version 3.5 sp2, Backup Exec does not recognize the media, and therefore, I cannot restore from it nor can I import it.

Backup Exec is currently running on Windows Server 2003 SP2.

Is there a utility or patch available to get BU Exec to recognize these tapes, or am I stuck with DPE until the
existing tapes are no longer needed?

Thanks,

tupshaw
3 REPLIES 3

teiva-boy
Level 6
Each backup vendor writes tapes differently in their own format.  There is no standardized format to write with.

Thus most customers keep a copy running as a VM for a while, as a standby system as needed if only for restores.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Each backup vendor writes tapes differently in their own format.  There is no standardized format to write with.

Most Windows Backup software writes to tape in MTF ( Microsoft Tape Format)  The problem comes when you use software compression (which is propietary by manufacturer)  or bells and whistles in one particular software

basic non-compressed or hw-compressed backups should be able to be read by BackupExec, but there are no guarantees.

RHSFC
Level 4
Hi tupshaw,

I need some feedback from if you can give it to me. I just need to know the reasons why you moved from Data Protector to Symantec Backup Exec. What have did you gain more from by using Backup Exec. 

I am also try to find some comparisons from the net, but i only found a white paper written by HP which for sure they are going to put Data Protector on top.

Thanks
Ruben