cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Incredibly Slow Back up times when file/folders are excluded

Lamotta
Level 3
We are currently running a Full backup each week followed by a differential backup. The Full backup amasses to around 1.2TB and each differential grows by about 15GB each day so Day 1 - 15GB Day 2 - 30GB and so on...

I have been scratching my head for a while to try and discover why the back up job rate on our server is so slow. The server connects to a fibre switch and backs up to a tape library. Currently a 15 GB backup is taking around 12-14 hours to complete with the data rate being anywhere between 2-10mb. In troubleshooting this issue I have ruled out connectivity and have applied the latest updates etc but still the problem persists.

I then recreated the job from scratch and Viola! Suddenly the job rate of the back ups jumped to 1,700-2,200MB per minute - brilliant! However this all changed when I added the necessary volume exclusions to the backup job and the job rate returned to a pitiful 2-10mb. So I have identified that there is a problem when folders are excluded but wonder how I can resolve this. In excluding these folders I am simply deselecting a couple of folders from the selection list so there is nothing clever about it, no file extension exclusions or anything like that. Any advice on how to overcome this frustrating problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Shayne
0 REPLIES 0