cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incremental Backup Takes to much space on disk

syntax1127
Level 3

Hi,

I have 2 backup jobs. One Full at the end of the month and the rest is daily incremental.

The full backup takes about 500Gb and its ok , BUT from some reason the incremental daily backup takes about 20Gb PER DAY!

There is no way that my data grows in 20GB each day....

So is that ?? Why is the incremental backup which runs daily takes so much space on disk? What do I do wrong?

More details :

1. The backup runs on disk if its metter (B2D)...

2. Both Full and Incremental backups is Using archive bit (reset archive bit ) checked.

3. I can restore perfectlly any data I wish but then again I need to replace the disk almost every week because it is getting full....

The same issue is for the backup for Exchange. ( We have 2 different jobs for the exchnage and for the network ).

Any help???

10x in advance.

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Incremental backups not only backup new files, but modified files as well.  This means if FileA is modified since the last full or incremental backup, it will be backed up in the next incremental backup although it has been backed up before.

syntax1127
Level 3

But still, it is unreasanable that my data grows in 20gb per day...

In addition, We are NOT using the DEDUPLICATION technology yet, Can it decrease my backup rapdilly as it should?

Is it going to solve my problem and decrease my backups ?

What else can I check?

How can I check what was baccked up in the daily incremental backup ?

Thanks again

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Dedup will decrease the amount of backup data stored because it only store the changed data blocks, not the whole file.  However, there is additional hardware requirements to use dedup.

You can list the files backed up by using CatTools to dump the catalog

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH136392

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

I would try to use modified time for the backup to see if backup amount then was more reasonable, we have had an issue where some programs was modifing the archive bit and is now running with modified time

Hope this helps you

Regards

Michael

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

cjsit960
Level 2
Partner

I have the same issue with the backup, It Does the full backup and then the incrementals are so large this is version 2012  - Version 2010 I did not have this issue.  Any Idea

Thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

How can I check what was backed up in the daily incremental backup ?

Open a restore job and in the selection pane select Media view rather than Volume view.  find one of your INCR jobs and expand it

You should see all the files backed up by that job

Biker_Dude
Level 5
Employee

It sounds like something is enabling the archive bit on 20 GB worth of data each day and causing the Incr backup to prematurely capture more data than is necessary.

Have there been any recent changes to file management, or virus scanning on the server?