cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incremental Backup failing on 1 Exchange Database

Aymen_MAMI
Level 3

Hello,

i'm encountering a very strange issue if you could help me out.

I have Backup Exec 2014 installed on windows server 2012 r2, i'm using it to backup a lot of stuff. Everything works fine except for my Exchange-DAG  backup. here are the details.

* Backup Exec is using a domain admin account which is also a member of Exchange organisation management group.

* I have 2 Exchange 2010 MBX servers installed on windows 2008 r2. An other 2 servers for clients acces but those are not included in the backup selection.

* My Exchange DAG include 5 Databases with over 1000 mailboxes in total.

* A weekly full backup of the the Exchange DAG is working fine and cleaning logs without issues.

* All 5 databases are not using circular logging.

* A daily incremental backup is failling everytime on the last database with the error

"The Logon account that was provided does not have valid credentials. Ensure that the user name and password are correct, and then try again."

--> Just after this error, the Backup exec account gets locked and the following jobs fail untill the lock on the account expire which is after 30mn accoring to our domain GPO.

--> I tried running the job at many different times of the day and i encountered the same issue.

Is there any additional previleges that i need to add to the account so i can execute incremental Backups ? i cannot afford to do full backup everyday.

Thank you for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Aymen,

Check the TN below out and see if this helps you...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129044

Thanks!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV

Hi Aymen,

Check the TN below out and see if this helps you...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129044

Thanks!

Aymen_MAMI
Level 3

Hello, 

Thank you for your answer but if it were a permission issue, would i be able to perform full backup without problems? also the incremental backup always failing on the last database.

Best regards

Aymen

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Try recreating the job.

CraigV

...no mention that the FULLs were working.

There are no additional requirements for the BESA to backup Exchange in an INCR job. Permissions are the same.

Have you tried to trace the account lockout in AD?

Thanks!

Aymen_MAMI
Level 3

Thank you Craig, 

You were right, it was a permission issue. The BESA was not a member of Exchange Organisation Management group. my client had exchange 2007 and then upgraded to 2010 and i assumed that the permissions were correct from the old installation. But when i verified, it turns out that the account was a member of Exchange Administators group which refers to the old Exchange 2007.

I added it to Exchange Oraganisation manamgent and all incremental jobs are working now without problems. GRT is working fine too.

Best regards 

Aymen

CraigV

Great stuff!