cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incremental SharePoint backup always failing

Dave_Mason75
Level 3

OK so here's the situation.

Our Backup Exec media server is an HP Proliant DL380 G7 running Windows Server 2012 R2 and Backup Exec 15 Feature Pack 3. We B2D using fairly basic equipment. We have a HDD dock which is connected to the DL380 via USB 3. Here we dock 2 x 2TB 2.5" HDD's and over the week we perform a full backup, then several incremental or differential backups of our various systems. We change disks after one week and the process starts again.

Our SharePoint 2010 Standard farm consists of 3 servers - a WFE, an app and a database server. These are Hyper-v 2012 R2 VM's and all three VM's are running Windows Server 2008 R2 and the database server is running SQL Server 2008 R2. The latest Windows Remote Agent is installed on the three VM's. 

Every Friday I perform a FULL backup of the farm using the BE SharePoint agent. This works successfully every time. What I can't get to work are the incremental backups which would normally be performed Monday to Thursday. They fail during the verification stage with the following message:-

Data for WSS_Content is corrupt.
Difference encountered in security data stream.
The file WSS_Content is different.

Verify
V-79-57344-33967 - The backup selection 'MySites\Content-DB 1 (PBREDB1010V\PPD_MySites)' was not suc...
V-79-57344-33967 - The backup selection 'MySites\Content-DB 2 (PBREDB1010V\PPD_Sites)' was not succe...
V-79-57344-33967 - The backup selection 'SharePoint - 80\Content-DB 1 (PBREDB1010V\WSS_Content)' was...
V-79-57344-33967 - The backup selection 'SharePoint - 80\Content-DB 2 (PBREDB1010V\PPD_XRMContent)' ...
V-79-57344-33967 - The backup selection 'SharePoint - 80\Content-DB 3 (PBREDB1010V\WSS_Content_PWRXL...
V-79-57344-33967 - The backup selection 'SharePoint - 80\Content-DB 4 (PBREDB1010V\Manufacturing_Con...

The catalogue, which runs imediately after the backup, also fails with the following:-

Catalog- SharePoint - 80\Content-DB 3 (PBREDB1010V\WSS_Content_PWRXLA0001)
V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory ##( and its subdirectories.

Catalog- SharePoint - 80\Content-DB 5 (PBREDB1010V\WSS_ReportCentre)
V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory ##࣭ and its subdirectories.

Catalog- MySites\Content-DB 2 (PBREDB1010V\PPD_Sites)
V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory ## and its subdirectories.

Catalog- SharePoint - 80\Content-DB 4 (PBREDB1010V\Manufacturing_Content_DB)
V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory ## and its subdirectories.

Catalog- SharePoint - 80\Content-DB 2 (PBREDB1010V\PPD_XRMContent)
V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory ##4 and its subdirectories.

Catalog- SharePoint - 80\Content-DB 1 (PBREDB1010V\WSS_Content)
V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory ##2 and its subdirectories.

Catalog- MySites\Content-DB 1 (PBREDB1010V\PPD_MySites)
V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory ##( and its subdirectories.

We only started performing SP backups when we installed BE 15 FP1, so I've no idea if we would of had the same problem with BE 2014. Since then I've upgraded to FP2 and now FP3 but still have the same problem. To get round this, I perform full backups three times a week instead but now I want to try and resolve this once and for all.

Any ideas?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13

cruisen
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hello Dave Mason75,

which recovery model you are using on your SQL server?

Best regards,

Cruisen

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are your full backup and subsequent incremental backups done on the same set of disks?  If not, try putting them on the same set of disks and make sure that the full backup is online when the incremental backups are taken.

Dave_Mason75
Level 3

Crusien - Depends on the database. On WSS_Content, the recovery mode is Simple, others are either Simple or Full.

PKH - Yes they're on the same set of disks. I put a new set (2x2TB 2.5" HDD's) into the disk caddy on a Friday, a full backup is performed of all systems (including SP farm) over the weekend, then Monday to Thursday evening, differential or incremental backups are performed of all the systems onto the same set of disks. (the SP farm, an incremental is performed.)

cruisen
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hello Dave,

check this https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/be2012-backing-sql-databases-full-simple-recovery-mode-issue

You should speak to a SQL dba, there are recovery models that can not work with incremental backup.

best regards,

cruisen

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The discussion that you are referring to is about log backups.  The error messages are not the same as the ones in this discussion.  He is probably doing block-level incremental backups.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you tried using differential (normal, not block-level) backups?

Dave_Mason75
Level 3

Yes I'm doing block level incremental backups. I've tried differential backups and also get an error message. I think its the same one but I cannot remember now as it was some months ago since I tried it.

Today is the day I change the backup disk set, and over the weekend a "Full backup" is performed, which always works successfully. So what I will do is on Monday, I will perform a differential backup of the SP farm and see what messages I get and I will post the results on here on Monday or Tuesday.

Many thanks

Dave

cruisen
Level 6
Partner Accredited

UFFF, is the option AOFO activated on your backup job?

Dave_Mason75
Level 3

Sorry for the delay replying.

Differential backups also give the same error message as I listed in the original posting.

AOFO is enabled and the snapshot provider is set to Automatic and "Process logical volumes for backup one at a time" is ticked.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
When backing up databases, you should not enable AOF

Dave_Mason75
Level 3

Oh man, AOFO is removed from all my other SQL DB backups, so I really should have known to remove it from my SP backup too... I will remove AOFO and try again.

Thanks!

Dave_Mason75
Level 3

Well I removed AOFO and still the same errors with incremental backups....

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee

I thinking you're seeing the issue where BE doesn't properly save the ancestry locations of previous incremental and full backups for doing the GRT catalog.  In this scenario, only the full backups would work.  Issue is to be fixed in FP4 due out some time in the next few weeks.  See http://www.veritas.com/docs/000024559.

Russ