cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infinite - Don't Allow Overwrite

Andrea_Rodgers
Level 3
The Infinite - Don't Allow Overwrite is how my tapes are being labeled after my backup job has completed. Where is this coming from? My media set is configured for overwrite after 4 days and append after 1. The documention mentioned a default media set named user media set but I can't find it on my system.
11 REPLIES 11

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Is this the first tape of a multi volume backup set?

If I I think this is by design, since anything appended to the second volume will extend the Overwrite Protection Period

If this is the only tape in the backuup, sounds like you have a bug. What build are you running?

Andrea_Rodgers
Level 3
This job takes three tapes and all of them are labeled Infinite - Don't All Overwrite. I'm running Rev. 4691. Is that the build?

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
Yes, 4691 is the build version.

I myself use 9.1 SP2 and have one job that uses two tapes and both keep their APP and OPP settings after finishing their backup job. After the OPP and APP expires they will be marked as 'Overwriteable' etc.. (as they should)

Did you select the correct media set in you backup job ?

Regards
A van der Boom

Andrea_Rodgers
Level 3
Yes, I have the correct media set selected. This was working fine until I update from 9.0 to 9.1. I have not made any changes to my backup jobs.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are you getting any errors in Event Log?

IIRC, errors on the drive can cause Veritas to mark the tape volume as Non Overwritable (presumably so that you don't try to write to a tape that is faulty/suspect)

Andrea_Rodgers
Level 3
No Sir.

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
if you remove the tape from your media sets and erase it before use, do you still have the same problem ?

Regards
A van der Boom

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

This is a known issue and we have released a hotfix for this.And which hotfix is now included in BE v9.1 4691 SP2,

You can verify it referring folloing link:
Release Notes for Backup Exec 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691 - Service Pack 2
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/275399.htm

You can install SP2 using following link:http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/275247.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Andrea_Rodgers
Level 3
Yes

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Andrea,
Can you Update us on the issue. Do you need any more help on this issue or can we close it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm
==============================================
==============================================
Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Andrea_Rodgers
Level 3
I'm going to upgrade to version 10 this week and hopefully solve this problem.