cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inserting tapes into my library whilst backup in-progress/qued

fhiyll
Level 2

Hello!

I have a backup which is in progress and currently qued as I have not got enough tapes in my library. I want to insert more tapes without cancelling the job (Currently paused at 4TB). Usually, I would Unlock the library, then use the HP MSL console to release the magazines.

However, I cant unlock the library as the job is in progress, but is there a way I can use backup exec to open my magazines so i dont have to cancel the job?

Im using Backup Exec 2010 R3 and a HP MSL library with 2 drives and 48 magazine capacity.

Many thanks in advance

:)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...they do have mail slots, as they are configurable in the slots of the MSL4048 itself. COnfigure a mail slot through the web front-end of the library.

When you run a backup job and it asks for a tape to be imported, you can run the import job...this should in theory unlock the library.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV

Hi,

Best thing to do is configure a mail slot on the MSL itself, and then use an import job to pull tapes from that mail slot into the library for BE to use.

You would have to run a Scan (or Inventory job if 1 tape drive isn't in use) if you use bar code labels to detect these tapes.

Thanks!

fhiyll
Level 2

Thank you for taking the time to reply, however my Library doesnt have a mail slot, just 4 magazines.

So I need to ge the tapes in primarilary, once they are in, im fine, its just getting them into the device.

Thanks again

:)

CraigV

...they do have mail slots, as they are configurable in the slots of the MSL4048 itself. COnfigure a mail slot through the web front-end of the library.

When you run a backup job and it asks for a tape to be imported, you can run the import job...this should in theory unlock the library.

Thanks!

fhiyll
Level 2

Thank you very much, worked a treat, logged into MSL Command View. Enabled Mail slot.

IMported media using BE then refresed teh MSL Command View, and unlocked the magazines!

Thank you very much CraigV. yes

CraigV

...the old G1 1/8 autoloaders used to have a mail slot in front as the slots were internal and not removable (certainly talking from an HP-perspective here!). Why they removed that from the current models is a mystery to me...sure there are more slots, but having a mail slot would have helped.

Glad to have helped yes