cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install has detected Remote Administrator on server

fleeecy
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm trying to install Backup Exec 2010 on this Windows 2003 SBS Server with all the latest updates installed. This is a local install.

I get through the Environment Check 2.0 steps without issues, but as soon as I click "Next" from there,  I get an error message that says

'Install has detected Remote Administrator on server. ¨Please choose a different server."

Now that server had Backup Exec 10d installed previously, and it was uninstalled before running the 2010 installer. 

I looked everywhere in the Symantec KB, couldn't find any reference to this error. 

Does anyone have any clue as to what it means? 
1 REPLY 1

Vnoome
Level 2
Fleeecy,

Before attempting to install Symantec Backup Exec 2010 please note that in order to resolve this issue you should look at the following:

Run regedit.

1.  go to KHEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Symantec.
2.  Export the Symantec key just in case.
3. Delete the Backup Exec and if present DLO key under Symantec.

Close registry editor.

Run your BENT 2010 setup again.

Please note that this is provided as is in an attemp to resolve the problem.  Do so at own risk!!!

Further more this solutions arrived from attempting to upgrade BENT 12.5 to BENT 2010.  The upgrade of the Backup Exec wen fine but for some strange reason the DLO did not upgrade.  According to Symantec technical support, the upgrade procedure will upgrade both the Backup Exec and DLO at the same time.
In my situation, my BENT and DLO database resided on a seperate SQL 2005 server. Now I can not imply that this will happen with an SQL express deployment but should be kept in mind.

ALso note that when using an existing instance of SQL 2005 SERVER SP 3 is required!!!

Instead of spending hours upon hours fixing the problem, I found to just uninstall and re-install the best.