cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation : DLO Fails to Start; Database Location Issue

Brian_Seebacher
Level 1
Hello -

My installation of Backup Exec 11d is using a SQL 2005 database installed on a separate server. I want to add DLO support to my installation, but from what I've determined from looking around the net, DLO does not support using a remote database.

When I went to add the feature through Add/Remove programs, the installer added a DLO database on the remote database server, and the installation completed successfully. However, when I went to run the management application, I got the "Unable to Connect to Media Server" error message.

After determining this to be a problem with the remote database connection and DLO, I installed a copy of SQL 2005 locally on my server, restored the DLO database from my remote server to the local server, and changed the registry keys outlined in this post to point to the local server :

http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4467660

After this, I got past the "Unable to Connect" error, only to hit the wall again with another error :

Error V-139-57364-16
Operation aborted

ADODBError...(COM errors)
desc=Could not load the DLL XPDLOShareu.dll, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason: 126(The specified module could not be found.).

There's also a SQLServer error in the Application log. From what I gather here, I'm missing an extended stored procedure object that would normally be registered during installation. I tried the "repair" option with the system installer, to no avail.

Is there any way I could get this to work on a remote data source? If not, could I move the database to a local source, reinstall, and have this work? Alternatively, is there any way to run this with the DLO data on the local server and the rest of the Backup Exec data on the remote server? The installer doesn't give me any choice in the matter.
1 REPLY 1

perry_baker
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Brian,

Starting with BE DLO 11, a remote SQL instance is supported. See the technote below for information.

Document ID: 285436
http://support.veritas.com/docs/285436
Backup Exec Administrator's Guide does not specify the correct pre-installation considerations for the Desktop Laptop Option (DLO).

At this point it sounds like you might be able to point the DLO DB location back to the remote SQL server and make sure named pipes is enabled. But you may end up needing to remove DLO and start over after enabling named pipes.