cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installiing SQL Agent

Ashley_James
Level 2
We have a media sever running 10.0 backup Exec (Win 2003) and I need to install MS SQL agent on a remote server running 2003.

The documentation says that you cannot push this agent through from the media server, it says you must run a local install of the MS SQL agent.
When I run the backupexec.exe file it wants to install both Backup Exec AND MS SQL agent.
I only want the MS SQL agent on the remote computer. I have searched the veritas/symantec websites for a seperate download but have not found anything.

What am I missing in the documentation or doing wrong?
3 REPLIES 3

uz
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Ashley, the SQL Agent does not need to be installed on the remote SQL Server !!! That does not work. You have to install the SQL Agent locally at the Backup Exec Media server itself.
On the remote SQL Server, you need to install the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers only. (The license for the Remote Agent is included in the SQL Agent license)

in short words: SQL Agent on the Media Server, Remote agent on the remote SQL Server.

Hope this helps

uz

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Ashley,
In addition to the previous reply please refer to the following technote to install the SQL agent:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/253168
Run the tools>serial numbers and installation to push the remote agent once again.Or copy the RANT32 folder from the backup exec server to the SQL server and run the setupaa.cmd to install remote agent locally.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Ashley_James
Level 2
Thanks uz,
Oh so simple. You information helped alot.