cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing SQL 2000 SP4 to instance BKUPEXEC

Jim_Elden
Level 3
How do I install SQL 2000 SP4 to the MSDE instance that Backup Exec 9.1 for Windows installs? I am getting a message in the sp4 log file: The specified instance's product code doesn't match the installed product code.

What I really need is the specific command line to use with the SP4 setup.exe, if this is possible.
7 REPLIES 7

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please see the technote below to resolve the issue:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/277094

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Jim_Elden
Level 3
That does not solve the problem. The install still fails with the same error. Here are some excerpts from the log:

MSI (c) (30:A4) : APPCOMPAT: looking for appcompat database entry with ProductCode '{E09B48B5-E141-427A-AB0C-D3605127224A}'.
MSI (c) (30:A4) : APPCOMPAT: no matching ProductCode found in database.

--and--

MSI (s) (14:F4) : Original package ==> C:\SQL2KSP4\MSDE\Setup\SqlRun01.msi
MSI (s) (14:F4) : Package we're running from ==> C:\WINNT\Installer\14465a29.msi
MSI (s) (14:F4) : APPCOMPAT: looking for appcompat database entry with ProductCode '{E09B48B5-E141-427A-AB0C-D3605127224A}'.
MSI (s) (14:F4) : APPCOMPAT: no matching ProductCode found in database.

--and at the end---

FindSet for ProductCode <{E09B48B5-E141-427A-AB0C-D3605127224A}> returned 1
The specified instance's product code doesn't match the installed product code.

Jim_Elden
Level 3
It is worth noting that I am willing to backup the BEDB database, unintall MSDE and reinstall a new instance of MSDE (or SQL 2000 Standard) naned BKUPEXEC, patch to SP4, and restore BEDB.

Is there any harm in resolving the issue in this manner?

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Below is the link to download SP4
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8e2dfc8d-c20e-4446-99a9-b7f0213f8bc5&DisplayLang=en

From the link given above please download SQL2000.MSDE-KB884525-SP4-x86-ENU.EXE
Thanks,
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jim_Elden
Level 3
Yes that is the link I have been using since the start of this.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Jim,

if you want to backup the backup exec database then you just need to shut down the bews services and mssql$bkupexec service and copy the BEBD* files under the Data folder of the program folder of veritas backup exec.

If you are intending to just manually uninstall the exiting bkupexec msde instance and reinstalling it with the name mentioned by you, we suggest you to completely uninstall BEWS and reinstall it as you wish to.
In that case we suggest you to make a copy of the following:
a. C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Program Files\Backup Exec\NT\Data
b. C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Program Files\Backup Exec\NT\Catalogs
c. C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Program Files\Backup Exec\NT\ECM
d. C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Program Files\Backup Exec\NT\IDR (if present)
e. C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Program Files\Backup Exec\NT\Reports\Saved
f. Backup-to-Disk folders as mentioned in step #4 above (if created)

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jim_Elden
Level 3
I did the following and all is well:

1. Backup the BEDB database.
2. Uninstall MSDE completely.
3. Install SQL Server Standard to instance BKUPEXEC & patch up to SP4.
4. Restored BEDB.