cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid Physical Volume Library Argument

Not applicable
I have upgraded to Backupexec v 10.0 and Windows 2003 server. I'm using a Compaq server and a Sony TSL-SA500C.
The backup job manage to backup 3 or 4 servers, then it stops with the following message in the log:

Storage device "SONY 1" reported an error on a request to get device status.

Error reported:
Invalid Physical Volume Library Argument.

V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred.

I have tried different SCSI cards, Compaq integrated and Adaptec 29160.

Whats does the error code mean? Any hint on what to do?
4 REPLIES 4

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
The error message, though not the error code, is the same as I saw a while ago with our Dell LTO 1 library. If I remember correctly, after trying a variety of things I spoke to Dell Support, and we determined that it was actually a hardware fault. Unfortunately I can't remember what the actual fault was, but I believe it turned out to be a small component connected with the changer mechanism had failed, so they replaced it.

I would suggest you contact the relevant support people connected with your library, as that may be where the problem is.

Aalok_Pathak_2
Level 6
First, ensure that tape devcie you are using is explicitly tested with BEWS v10.0 :

http://support.veritas.com/docs/274347

http://support.veritas.com/docs/274348

The "Invalid Physical Volume Library Argument."issue may occur due to corrupt device related data in the Backup Exec database. To resolve the issue do the following:

1. Go the Backup Exec's Devices tab

2. Select the suspected drive > Right-click > Disable

3. Now, delete the drive

4. Restart all the Backup Exec services. The drive will be displayed back.

5. Run a sample backup job.

Hope, this will help to resolve the issue.

Zerene_Sangma
Level 6
Hi there,

Can we have an update on this issue, Is the issue resolved after performing steps suggested by the previous Engineer?

Thanks.

Abhinav_Bindroo
Level 6
There is no response from the customer within 2 days from the last reply by Veritas