cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid Physical Volume Library

Glen_Prestidge
Level 3
Hi guys

I have been reading some of the topics regarding this error message. Just to give you a bit of information. The server is a Acer G310 with dual zeons 4 gig of memory windows 2000 sp4 backup exec 9 (upgraded from 8.6). Recently they had a dat store i40 DDS4 drive. This failed. They then purchased a new Acer drive (sony AIR SDX-550V)

My technician went onsite after hours to install this unit (we also got a new scsi controller also) he installed this put in the drivers rebooted fine. Now he went in and added in the drive removed all one and changed the reference to the old tape drive in the shedules for the new drive. He then went to inventry the tapes, lable and quick erase. This is were the Error is occuring or 0xa0008101 hex.

What we have tried so far. Uninstall and reinstall the new scsi controller. Installed the old controller card back in still no luck.Run the tapeinst.exe wizard to remove and reinstall the drive, the beutiilty to rebuild the SQL data base or anyother dbs. I then stumbled accross a article today about downloading updated tape drivers was a exe that needed to be downloaded. This was done i installed onsite got a error saying that i need 9.1 before.i can run this update. Can i download patch with updates from 9.0 to 9.1 or does the client have to purchase the upgrade?

The veritas tech support guys won't talk to me i am pretty much run out of ideas hence the post

Any suggestions would be apreciated.
6 REPLIES 6

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

An upgrade from 9.0-9.1 is a free upgrade!

You may download 9.1 from the following link:

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691.1 (Single .ZIP download)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/264658

Please check whether the device is tested in HCL:

Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Servers (tm) 9.x (9.0, 9.1) Hardware Compatibility List. Includes HCL information for supported drives, libraries, virtual tape devices, fibre-channel HBAs, switches, routers/bridges, and iSCSI components. For printing purposes, the latest version of Acrobat is recommended.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/282347

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Does Windows Device Manager show the device as ready?
if you shut down all BackupExec Services, does NTBackup see and access the drive properly?
Have you tried removeing the Veritas drivers and loading the manufacturer drivers?

frankie_Mueller
Level 2
I have just read this post. I checked the link and found that the newest sony ait drive (ait3ex Sony-SDX-800V) is not supported in BE 9.1 but is supported in BE10 versions. Do you know if it's possible to download the driver updates file for 10 and pull out the sony drivers for this drive to load into the 9.1? I've tried to use the OEM drivers but although the drive is recognized within BE, I can't set the media type in the wizard due to the error that the drive is invalid and I get the Invalid physical volume argument.

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

You can download the latest Veritas drivers for BEWS10 from following link:

http://support.veritas.com/menu_ddProduct_BEWNT_view_DOWNLOAD.htm

We would also like to know if the NT backup was successful?

Thanks and regards,

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

frankie_Mueller
Level 2
Thanks for the input. I will attempt this again, but the version 10 drivers don't load into the version 9.1 due to version conflict.

Can't accomplish backup or perform any other operation except eject.

I'll post again with results of your suggestion.

Sony support told me that this drive is not supported in veriosn 9.1 which I think is rude as many of my clients run this version but have a need to this level of capacity. In addition, there are windows drivers on the disk provided by Sony all the way back to NT4. So that tells you that with this merger of Veritas and Symantec, this corporation is looking to push the latest version at everyone.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please refer to the BE v9.1 latest drivers:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/273853.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.