cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid Physical Volume etc.

Tom_3
Level 2
Having problems getting backups onto tape using BEv9.1.

We backup to disc (B2D) and then run duplicate jobs to push it off onto tape.

Over the weekend our weekly tape ejected (had been messing with the schedules and it wanted a "diff" tape!) and I was able to cancel the duplicate jobs to tape.

Now When selecting a duplicate job in the job monitor and choosing "Run Now" I am getting "Job Failed - jobname duplicate -- The job failed with the following error: Invalid Physical Volume Library Drive Identifier"

I have 12 or 13 of these duplicates to run in total.

I suspect the tape drive / tape is OK as one or two of the jobs do appear to run OK.

Have done this: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190973.htm in desperation as I can't find a similar problem with v9.1

Any help would be grand!
4 REPLIES 4

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer the following technote for troubleshooting the issue.

Title:

The error "Unable to acquire device or media. Invalid Physical Volume Library Drive Identifier" occurs in the Backup Exec job log.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/237573

Please revert to us with the results.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be "assumed answered" and archived.

Tom_3
Level 2
Thanks for reply. Saw this article yesterday and gave it a go. Am I not reading well today or does it not make sense...?

Step 3 says, "Look at the Destination section of the General tab. "All Drives (SERVER_NAME)" should appear for the Device (Figure 3)." Figure 3 shows the destination device to "All Drives (servername)"

Step 4 then tells me to select a "more appropriate device". In my case I am selecting "HP1" which is the tape drive attached to the box.

Step 5 and Figure 4 now appear to show that although I will have selected a "more appropriate device", BE will continue to show the destination device name to be "All Drives (servername)".

???????????

As I look at last nights duplicates to tape, half of them succceded OK and the other half all have this same error:
(a0008107 - Invalid Physical Volume Library Drive Identifier.)

I have checked in the job setup and ALL duplicate jobs are set with the destination device of "HP1"

Interestingly enough, I have now changed (on the jobs that failed) the destination device to the "All Drives" device. So far.... All but one are working!!! (The one that doesn't work so far still reports the same error)

Whats that all about??????????????

I will try the second suggestion in above article once I have got all that I can onto the tape.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

We apologise for the inconvenience caused because of the delayed response.
Please update us on this issue.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked 'assumed answered' and would be moved to the 'answered threads' pool.

Message was edited by:
sharvariMessage was edited by:
sharvari

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.