cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid credentials for system state backup

JordiPuig
Level 3

Hi,

I'm new in Symantec Backup Exec, and just downloaded and installed 2012 trialware.

After installed, I tried to create a new scheduled tape backup, but if I use the "Check credentials" option I get an error in "system state" and in "snapshot components".

I use the logon account to do it, which is a domain administrator with full privileges. I also tried to create a new domain administrator account and add it to the local backup administrators group, but I get the same error.

I looked for it in forums, but there is not much information about 2012 version, so if anybody can help me I would appreciate it.

Operating system: Windows 2008 R2 / Local backup in an attached tape drive.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JordiPuig
Level 3

Well, after folowing all KBs, installing all windows updates, re-installing BE 4 times, changing AD GPOs, checking local permissions lot of times....

BE stills saying that I have no rights to backup system state and VSS.

So I decided to try it, and that was successfull!!

After 2 weeks working on it, the error that BE was showing is... not an error.

I supose its a joke for BE begginers.

Anyway thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If you're running an antivirus on that server, stop and disable it and run the backup again.

If it succeeds, put through exclusions for the BE services.

I've had the same issue with McAfee blocking access to server System States!

THanks!

JordiPuig
Level 3

Hi CraigV,

I had it installed, but I remember I saw a post (don't know if it was from you) telling abut to disable it and then I did it.

I can confirm it is full uninstalled, but I'm facing the same trouble.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...OK, then create a new selection list and stand-alone backup job and run the backup again.

Depending on whether or not you run to disk or tape and you're getting this error on either, run the backup job at the other 1...ie: If your current job runs to tape, try running it to disk.

JordiPuig
Level 3

I tried to create a disk backup, but the credentials check shows the same error at these two.

I dont remember if I restarted the server after uninstalled McAfee, so I'll do it at out of office time, then I'll try again. I'll post the results.

I readed that removing the server and adding it again could work, but I dont have the option to do it, cause it appears in gray (I can only add servers).

I have another question (about licencing), I just want to make a full backup of my drives and a system state backups (no remote servers, no SQL backup, no Exchange backup...), do you know if I need the Windows Agent for that purpose?

Thanks.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Regarding licensing, a remote agent for every remote server...but for local server, a RAWS license is included with the core product by default, so no need for extra RAWS license then..

Regarding the systam state credentials issue...ensure the service account used is in the format domain name\account name & not any other format...

Also, do double-check permissions on C:/ & if the BE account has the rights per this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH136148

JordiPuig
Level 3

Hi VJware,

Thanks for the explanation about licensing.

I checked service accound and it is like DOMAIN\username.

I checked the permissions on C and Administrators have full access.

I followed KB, granting the required rights to the account and ensuring that the GPO applies at the server.

But the credentials test still failing (also with disk backup).

I reinstalled BE, created a new admin account (granting all the KB privileges and adding it to the local backup and admins group), but nothing, all passed except sustem state and instant components.

I don't know what else can I check...

JordiPuig
Level 3

New info: I run the Symantec Backup Exec Support Tool and tested the Loggon Account. The result was:

The logged in user Administrador does not have local Administrative access.

I was logged as Domain Administrator, which I have added to the Local Administrators group and to the Backup operators group.

I would appreciate any help about that.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Do check if the BE account has the necessary rights or not per this KB - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH23689

JordiPuig
Level 3

Well, after folowing all KBs, installing all windows updates, re-installing BE 4 times, changing AD GPOs, checking local permissions lot of times....

BE stills saying that I have no rights to backup system state and VSS.

So I decided to try it, and that was successfull!!

After 2 weeks working on it, the error that BE was showing is... not an error.

I supose its a joke for BE begginers.

Anyway thanks for your help!