cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventory ignores tape drive specified

Brian_Coverston
Level 4
We have a Dell 132T with both LTO2 and LTO3 drive units.  I partitioned the slots, and set it up so some slots use only the LTO2 drive, and some only use the LTO3 drive.  This seems to work during backup and restore operations.  However, inventory operations ignore the settings and use the first available drive.  What happens is this: I load LTO3 tapes into the slots.  I click INVENTORY, which it then proceeds to randomly load LTO3 tapes into the LTO2 drive, which results in needing to manually ejecting the tape because the LTO2 drive has crashed and doesn't know what to do with the LTO3 tape.

In carousel setups, please make sure all tape operations use only the tape drive that has been assigned to it's tape slots!
1 REPLY 1

Specwar
Level 3
Partner
Sorry I don't have this type of setup, but I was just wondering if you've tried something.

In the device properties for your drives, there is a 'media types' section. Have you tried setting up media types to disallow the LTO2 drive from reading or writing to LTO3 tapes? maybe then it would not try to load LTO3 tapes into the LTO2 drive, because it knows it wouldnt be able to read it.

Also, if you have a barcode reader and barcodes on your tapes, you can configure barcode rules along with the media types.

Let me know if this works, or if you've already tried.