cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Full Backup & Disaster Recovery image-based?

irix
Level 3

Hello everyone,

I have a Windows 2008 Server with broken RAID5. So I need to backup the hole System file based and not image based to not copy the RAID errors to the new RAID (I'll delete the current RAID, change two disks an configure a new RAID).

What type of backup is the Backup Exec Full Backup when I using a created disaster recovery disk?

Or do I have to install the Windows Server by hand, install the BE Agent for Windows an then restore the System (System State & Files)?

The Server is Domain Controller and runs Active Directory and file shares.

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup Exec doesn't take image-based backups, though another product (System Recovery) does.

SDR simplifies the recovery process and one does not have to install the OS and the Remote Agent. The SDR disk itself contains an image though. I would recommend a read of this KB article - https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH180099

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6

Backup Exec doesn't take image-based backups, though another product (System Recovery) does.

SDR simplifies the recovery process and one does not have to install the OS and the Remote Agent. The SDR disk itself contains an image though. I would recommend a read of this KB article - https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH180099

pkh
   VIP    Certified
BE is file level backup. To make sure that your full backup is capable of recovering the server, make sure that the SDR light is on when you make the backup selection. Otherwise, you cannot use SDR to recover your server.

Colin_Weaver

More info to add to VJware (for other readers as well as the OP)

For traditonal Agent based backups (which includes those that create SDR records) Backup Exec performs a VSS operation at a file level within the volume.

The SDR process includes  details of the volume ordering, drive letters and and sizes etc but does not record block level information. Obviously to recover SDR backup sets into a RAID disk then appropriate hardware level drivers may be needed which means you may have to customize your SDR disk.

However for Virtual Agent backups the process is closer to a block level process in terms of how we treat the VHD/VHDX files. (although from the question I don't think the OP is doing Virtual Agent backups. )

irix
Level 3

Thanks everyone. I did find the step by step guid, but no info about the backupmethod.

I'll think SDR will work for my case.