cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tapes in Robotic Library being ignored

Ed_Wave
Level 2

I was recently thrown into a network that uses Backup Exec 2014 that backs up to 2 NAS units as well as a Dell Powervault 124T tape library.  I am fairly new to Backup Exec but have spent way too many hours trying to fix this.

The problem is that despite jobs being told to use the robotic library, only 2 of the tapes seem to be getting used, the rest stay at "5MB used of 745GB".  I've tried removing those tape, putting in new ones, inventorying them, assigning to a media set and still nothing.

Each tape is assigned to the media set "Keep Data Infinitley - Do Not Allow Overwrite", overwrite protected until is "Infinite - Do not overwrite" and Appendable to "Infinite - Allow append".

The media alert that is causing the job to pause is:

wtte1.JPG

The slots look like this:

wtte2.JPG

Any help is greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...they're not going to be overwritten due to the protection on that media set (Keep data indefinitely). Either move them to Scratch or erase them. In my opinion I would rather erase them and let them be autoassigned to the Scratch set. Then run the backup again.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

When you assign a tape to any media set it inherits the overwrite protection period and append period of that set.

So intially do not assign the tapes to any media set other then scratch media set.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...they're not going to be overwritten due to the protection on that media set (Keep data indefinitely). Either move them to Scratch or erase them. In my opinion I would rather erase them and let them be autoassigned to the Scratch set. Then run the backup again.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Tape usage is mainly controlled by their OPP and AP.  Read this document carefully

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000032654

Ed_Wave
Level 2

Thanks so much for the input.  I'm going to give this a test and will report back.