cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is an IBM 3581-L28 Autoloader Compatible with BE 8.6 3808?

mikehill
Level 2
trying to get the above to be recognized as a robotic library, but with no sucess. I've got it working as a stand-alone, but that's not what I need.

2-part qustion.

1. Is this autoloader compatible with 8.6?
2. How can I get BE 8.6 to recongize it as a robotic library?

Thanks in advance!
8 REPLIES 8

teiva-boy
Level 6
 What you need to do is read the HCL listed on the support site for that version.

HCL = hardware compatability list

mikehill
Level 2
Sure, if I could find it.

I've looked and being that 8.6 is almost 10 years old (I don't have the option of upgrading) I'm not having any luck, hence my post.

teiva-boy
Level 6
10yr old software, and a library that was EOL in 2006...

Sounds like it's time for an upgrade...

Odds are you wont be able to make it work without newer more current software. 

Any particular reason you are trying to get 8.6 to run?  It doesnt support any of the current OS's, and back then, it was what Windows NT, and Win95

mikehill
Level 2
Reason: Old server.

Basically we got a hand-me-down tape autoloader and decided to put it on a server still running win2k and BE 8.6.

Hopefully an upgrade is in the work, but I don't control the budget... dammit. :(

teiva-boy
Level 6
 Try NT Backup for now if you need an immediate fix for backups. 

mikehill
Level 2
I got BE 8.6 working, but the tape drive is acting as a standalone unit, not as a robotic library...

teiva-boy
Level 6
 The Windows device manager should see two devices...  a medium changer, and the drives themselves.  BE then interprets that and it gets listed as a device there...  Hopefully though, just a single drive will suffice for you for the time being.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
It's supported in 10D, but probably not further back than that.
I've take a look for a BEWS 8.6 HCL and found nothing...
If BEWS doesn't detect the changer correctly, it won't move your media around, so you're stuck with hardware that won't move media around.