cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to have multiple backup users/operators in BE 2010?

Chris_Salguero
Level 2

Hello everyone,

Here is the scenario that I require assistance with:

My manager and I both require access to Backup Exec 2010 however we cannot find if it is even possible to create a second logon account for the server.

In our environment it is intended that my manager maintain the backup jobs and select the intended backup data and my role is to log the backup job's success or failure and maintain the backup tapes we use.

To this end my user would only really require the ability to inventory and label tapes and read the exising jobs and their job logs.

The adminstrator's guide is not directly very clear if it is possible to create another backup user/operator, is anyone aware of how if possible to do so?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

We don't have role based acess control in Backup Exec currently

As such any user with enough Windows permissions (more or less admin rights) to the server can use the Backup Exec console.

You can restrict the ability to edit some things by using restricted accounts against the accounts which are used to backup specific resources, however in reality that type of restriction probably does not provide the sort of control you might need

As such basic answer to your question yes you can have multiple logins using Backup Exec, but you can't really control or restrict how much one of the logins can do compared with the other.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

We don't have role based acess control in Backup Exec currently

As such any user with enough Windows permissions (more or less admin rights) to the server can use the Backup Exec console.

You can restrict the ability to edit some things by using restricted accounts against the accounts which are used to backup specific resources, however in reality that type of restriction probably does not provide the sort of control you might need

As such basic answer to your question yes you can have multiple logins using Backup Exec, but you can't really control or restrict how much one of the logins can do compared with the other.

Chris_Salguero
Level 2

That is unfortunate to hear but thank you for clearing that up for me.