cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue Backing Up CPS to Tape!!

Corey_Wilson
Level 6

We use CPS and and 12.5 to write to tape. We have a number of CPS jobs that write to folders ranging from 500gb to about 2tb in size. We do not use the integration of CPS and Backup Exec. Instead we schedule CPS to stop each night and then have BackupExec configured with jobs that back up each of the CPS folders to tape. The problem is this, although it appears the backups are backing up all data from the CPS folders, since the data backed up coincides with the amount of data in the CPS folders, when we go to perform a restore from tape no files are actually visible on the tape jobs after about 1-2 folder deep although most folders themselves are visible. I verified the permissions on the CPS folders and the backup service account which is part of the admnistrators group has FC access to all files and folder of each CPS folder.

Could use some help here with any thoughts or suggestions you may have. Not doing us a lot of good to have data on tape that cant be accessed for a restore. Really not sure what to make of this.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
I think I just figured out the problem here. I mistakenly was selecting the cps data volumes located locally on the server directly. I was not selecting the data volumes through the CPS Node in the selection list. It looks like this may have been our problem, however I do not remember this being necessary in the past?!

Sacha_Brown
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hey corey. I'm having a bit of a problem with CPS. I'm not sure where the Destination folder has to created. I have Backup Exec and CPS installed on one server and I have a NETAPP storage device assigned to backup the data using CDP. Then the data on the storage is backed up on Tape. When i TRY to choose the netapp storage mapped drive for the destination folder it is not there. Are you sayin that the snapshots are stored on the local CPS?

Please HELP!!!

Scott_Barbee
Level 3
CPS Snapshots are created on the Windows server where you have CPS installed. It uses Windows Snapshot technology, and the snapshots are kept in a hidden system folder called "System Volume Information." The drive location depends on your Windows settings.

I can't speak to the NetApp part of the problem. Are you saying that when you try to choose the NetApp in BE that it isn't there?

Sacha_Brown
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hey Scott,

I got it to work. The netapp was accessed through a share so I had to creat a LUN in order for it to me seen as a logical drive. It is working now. One problem though. Is CDP a separate job that is created on BE. Also, what has to be selected what backing up CPS. eg ( snapshots, protected resources or databases)

Scott_Barbee
Level 3

We back up different parts of CDP in different BE jobs. We don't back up the Protected Resources or Snapshots, but we do back up the Databases. To back up the protected files, we actually run another BE job that includes the file system location where the files that were backed up by CPS live. We don't back up the "Protected Resources" under CPS because it didn't work well for us. I don't recall specifically because I wasn't involved when it got set up. HTH

Sacha_Brown
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Ok Good. I tried to backup using protected recources and it all file in that share came up as corrupt. So all i have to do is select the protected files where the destination folder is located from Backup exec and run that job?

Thanks for replying to my previous posts......:D

Scott_Barbee
Level 3

You got it!