cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue when trying to perform Exchange 2007 Backup

PaulHod
Level 3

Hi,

Im having major issues trying to perform a GRT Exchange backup ot a newly created Disk Backup Folder. all seens to work fine until the end of the verify when i get the following error.

Job ended: 20 July 2011 at 00:36:26
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0008488 - Access is denied.
Final error category: Security Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33928

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Backup- \\(Server Name)\Microsoft Information Store\Mailbox Storage Group 
Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options.  The followi...

The backup works fine to tape but fails every time to disk with the above error. has anyone had this before and is there a fix?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Mmm...in this case an upgrade might be worth it if you can. You'd need a set of new license keys, but it would be a direct upgrade.

I think the lack of support is the issue...

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

Create a new account in AD named : symantec with following settings:
1  : Member of the Domain Admin group and Local Admin Group if Exchange is a member server
2  : Create a Mailbox for Symantec, send a test email and oprn it in OWA to activate the Mailbox.
3  : Make sure that the Mailbox is not hidden from the Global Address List.
4  : Add the account "symantec" as Exchange Server Administrator in Exchange Management Console.

Open Backup Exec, go to TOOLS--Logon Accounts and Change the Logon Account to "symantec", make sure that "system Logon Account" and "Default Logon Account" is symantec.

Hope this helps...

CraigV

...does this possibly explain why the backup to tape succeeds but the backup to disk fails...?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

what version of backup exec are you running ?

Is the backup to disk folder created on Local NTFS volume or is it on the NAS?

See if the following document applies

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH59404

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129757

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67470

Brandon_1998
Level 3

I am having the same exact issue as Paul.  The link posted by zerocool took me to the default knowledge base search page.  The 3 links posted by RahulG are not conclusive enough for me to do anything mentioned in the article.

Dev T,

Everything is configured exactly as you outlined, however, the job is still failing with the same error that Paul is having.

Anyone else have any other ideas?  I have been researching this matter myself for 3 days and have not really made any progress.

Brandon

PaulHod
Level 3

ive just tried ZeroC00L 's post as the linked solution sounded like the way to go. unfortunately im getting the same issue. I am backing up to a QNAP NAS device.

heres a link to the tech note that ZeroC00L suggested.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH61642 

CraigV

Oh hang on...is your NAS on the BE 2010 HCL? If not, chances are good it won't be a supported configuration which might explain why you get access denied messages.

That said, have you configured the NAS with the BESA account details?

PaulHod
Level 3

Hi Craig,

the NAS is on the BE2010 HCL but not on the BE 12 HCL. It is configured with the BE SA yes

PaulHod
Level 3

P.S. im using BE12 at the moment.

CraigV

Mmm...in this case an upgrade might be worth it if you can. You'd need a set of new license keys, but it would be a direct upgrade.

I think the lack of support is the issue...

Brandon_1998
Level 3

CraigV,

In my case, I am already running BE2010 R3 and this problem is happening.  To the best of my knowledge, there have not been any configuration changes on the NAS nor the service account.

PaulHod
Level 3

Cheers Craig, im in the process of sorting out an upgrade to 2010 r3. I did try the same job to a windows based backup to disk folder and it worked fine so must be either the version or the NAS thats the issue.

Brandon_1998
Level 3

I was able to temporarily solve this problem yesterday afternoon by reconfiguring the weekly job for Exchange to "Copy - Databases & Logs" rather than "Full - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)".  After the job finished, I changed it back to "Full" and did not give me any errors.  However, I tried the weekly job again after the Daily Job that ran last night and received the same error message as before.  The only difference in the configuration of the Weekly Job and the Daily Job is that the Daily Job is run to Tape and the Weekly Job is sent to a B2D folder.  The positive light in all of this is that it seems like all the data is being backed up because the Byte Count for each job is nearly identical.  Any further thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

PaulHod
Level 3

Upgrading to 2010 R3 has fixed my problem i can now back up to the QNAP device.

Brandon I hope someone can help you fix this problem for you. your issue looks a little more indepth than mine was.

Thanks Craig for providing the answer.