cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Duplicate jobs timing out.

drakecooper
Level 3

Greetings,

I have a setup with several D2D2T jobs via policy, and one very large direct-to-tape backup.  All the jobs are using the same tape library.  I'm running into a situation where some of the duplicate jobs are timing out with a e000e020 error, while waiting for the large direct-to-tape job to finish.  

Basically, the jobs start in a staggered fashion Friday night.  As each to-Disk job finishes it queues the following Duplicate-to-Tape.  The issue arises when the large Direct-to-tape job starts before  all the Duplicate jobs are finished.  It takes control of the tape library and the Dupe jobs sit in the queue.  The big tape job takes about 38 hrs.  The selection lists for all the D2D2T jobs are set to expire after 22 Hrs.

I need the to-Disk portion of those jobs to quit if they're not finished in 22 hrs because they will interfere with the next day's backup if they hang up and don't finish.  The Dupe jobs can sit in the queue for days, though for all I care.  They just need to finish before the next weeks Friday backup starts.

Is there a way to set a separate timeout for the dupe jobs?  Or to reconfigure my setup to provide what i need?  I really just need the dupe jobs to wait 40hrs before timing out, but there doesn't seem to be a separate way to set them, they seem to use the timeout from the selection list from the to-Tape part of that backup.

Thanks,

Joe 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Adding one more drive to the Library will definately solve your issue.

And you can try making the big job to start later than the existing configuration/ or you can try starting D2D jobs starting earlier.

And Duplicate job for duplicating existing backup sets, will also do the job for you..

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Why don't you go for duplicating existing backup sets rather than duplicating backup sets immediately after finishing backup job?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

From Backup tasks Select New job to duplicate Existing Backup sets

Select Duplicating existing backup sets.

Select the backup sets which you want to duplicate.

Either click Run Now or under frequency Click Schedule.

Select Run According to Schedule

Enter Time Window According your requirement.

Click Ok.

If you are using a job to duplicate scheduled backup job, you can not schedule it seperately. 

drakecooper
Level 3

Thanks very much for your suggestions.  I had a look and it appears that this requires me to select an existing backup, which means i wouldn't be able to schedule it to follow a scheduled job.  It seems i'd have to manually run those backups every week.  Your last sentence seems to confirm this is the case.

I may just have to futz around with start times on those jobs to get them to all complete or at least get to the point where the last one is started before the big direct-to-tape job starts.

Unless you or anyone else has any other ideas.... :)

Thanks again,

Joe

Thanks,

Joe

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No need to run manually, if you use the duplicate job to duplicate existing backup sets. You can schedule it just like a normal backup job.

But if you are using a duplicate job to duplicate backup sets following a job (Your existing configuration), duplicate job starts just after original job finishes.

Which also means you cannot apply a different schedule than the original job to a duplicate job. 

drakecooper
Level 3

I appreciate your feedback.  Since you have to select an existing backup set, I couldn't actually create the duplicate job until after the to-disk job had already run.  Sure, i could schedule it to run at some point in the future, but i'd have to edit that job every week to use that week's backup set and I'd have to do it after the backup ran.  I might as well just wait until everything else is done and run the jobs manually.  

I'll play around with the timing and see if i can get around it that way.

Thanks for your input.

Joe

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What about your D2D jobs?

Are they configured to run concurrently?

Big job takes control of the tape library. How many drives your library have?

drakecooper
Level 3

They're setup to start staggered and generally one finishes before the next one starts, but they sometimes run concurrently, which is no problem.   They all back up to different partitions so there's no space contention.  If one backup location fills up it only affects that job not any others.

Just one drive in the tape library, which is my problem.  I actually didn't't think of it before but i think I could add another drive to that library, which would definitely solve the problem, so thanks for that idea.

Thanks,

Joe

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Adding one more drive to the Library will definately solve your issue.

And you can try making the big job to start later than the existing configuration/ or you can try starting D2D jobs starting earlier.

And Duplicate job for duplicating existing backup sets, will also do the job for you..

drakecooper
Level 3

Thanks Kiran, for your input.  I'll try the timing thing, and if I can't make that work maybe I can get a second drive for the library.  

It really would be helpful to be able to separate the timouts, so maybe I can make a feature request to Symantec.

Best,

Joe