cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with backingup SQL databases on remote machine.

Aruna
Not applicable

Presently I'm having Veritas 8.6 as backup application and planning to migrate to Backup Exec 12. Now I'm doing a  demo installation with the new application (Symantec Backup Exec 12 for Windows Servers ( Evaluation Edition).

With the new application though I have configured the MS SQL agent on media server and Advanced Open file Option on remote machine, I am unable to backup running SQL databases (on a remote server), its not backingup the SQL open databases.

Is their any licensing issue ? or if not could anyone give me any clue on this issue, please.

Thank you very much.

4 REPLIES 4

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
When you say it's not backing the databases up, at what point in the process is it failing?

Do you see the databases in your backup selection list?
Does the backup run, but give an error? If so, what error?

It's a good idea to put SQL backups in their own backup job, and don't use AOFO for these backups.

Jack_Dorsey
Level 5
Hywel,

Just curious, why do you state "it's a good idea" not to use AOFO for SQL backups?

Thanks, Jack

Ricardo_Pistari
Level 5
I'm not an expert, so I don't know if aofo actually could make job fail. But... when you backup sql databases, using sql agent, you don't need anything else, you don't have to worry about open files if your selection list include databases.
If your jobs will not use aofo, there's no reason to install it...

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

@jack Dorsey wrote:
Hywel,

Just curious, why do you state "it's a good idea" not to use AOFO for SQL backups?

Thanks, Jack

From the Administrator's Guide:

Symantec recommends that SQL backup jobs be run separately from AOFO or ADBO

backup jobs because SQL backups made with snapshot technology are considerably

bigger than regular SQL backups.

I have also found that not using AOFO wherever possible makes things simpler and less problematic.

AOFO is not reccommended for use with Exchange, as it restricts how you can restore, and that limitation makes me feel a bit uneasy about using it for any database agent.