cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with "phatom" SQL instances seen by Backup exec causing backup to fail.

Niceman
Level 2
We are backing up an sbs server 2003 which has sharepoint 2.0 installed on it.

This backs up up the 2.0 sql instances  fine,  however the sbs server once has sharepoint 3.0 on it whicha has been  uninstalled. The back exec  still thinks the old 3.0 instances of the old sharepoint 3.0 sql database still exists and trys to back it up. These instances do not exist on  the sbs server anymore. Backup exec is still attempting to back these phantom instance up...and cause the backup to report as failed.

Please see except from  log file below: (Can some one help please!)

V-79-57344-65055 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "ConfigurationV3-DB (WA3K001SBS\MICROSOFT##SSEE\SharePoint_Confi...
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FE1F): The device cannot be found.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

V-79-57344-65055 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Search instance\Index files 1 (WA3K001SBS\94a0ee2d-658c-463c-ab...

Note: Resource: "Search instance\Search-DB 1 (WA3K001SBS\MICROSOFT##SSEE\WSS_Search_WA3K001SBS)" is not snappable. Attempting to back up directly from the source volume.
Network control connection is established between 172.16.10.4:1500 <--> 172.16.10.1:10000
Network data connection is established between    172.16.10.4:4759 <--> 172.16.10.1:12136
Directory <Unknown> was not found, or could not be accessed.
None of the files or subdirectories contained within will be backed up.
Directory  was not found, or could not be accessed.
None of the files or subdirectories contained within will be backed up.
V-79-57344-65055 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "SharePoint - 13836\Content-DB 1 (WA3K001SBS\MICROSOFT##SSEE\WSS...

V-79-57344-65055 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "WebApplication\Content-DB 1 (WA3K001SBS\MICROSOFT##SSEE\SharePo...

3 REPLIES 3

JT_T
Level 5
Partner Certified
From your Backup Exec's selection list, you might not see those resources from graphical view anymore. Open Selection List, change view mode to text (there's a check box for that) and see if there's listed those failing selections. You can delete them using text mode view.

Niceman
Level 2
I did see the selections in the text view and have deleted them. The backup will run tonight and I should get a confirmation tomarrow.

Another question if possible.

After deleteing relevent the text view selections, I still set the top level option to select for  this sql  instance available  in the graphical view, even though I cannot select it or drill down into it as it know longer exists.  

(this make sence that I cannot drill into it as the  the sql instance has been deleted). How can I get rid of the selection capablity out of the grafical view. 

cheers,

tim 

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Graphical selections of Backup Exec see what SQL shows it. SQL is based on advertising, so it would go advertise all the instances available. On the SQL server, you may want to check value of "installed instances" under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server
 in registry. This value is generally used by SQL to advertise available instances. Check, if the problem instance is there in these values, you may want to remove it from there. Take good care, before working with registry. Please perform these steps, only if you are comfortable with registry editing, as it can have different consequences if not done with care.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks