cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Canceled only for incremental stage duplicate.

JoeMCNY
Level 3

I have a two jobs that been running fine for a few weeks, one for each of our soon to be new Domain controllers. They are weekly full with daily incremental, I have a full selection of all data to backup. The duplicate stages for the full runs fine but the incremental fails every night with:

The job was canceled because the response to a media request alert was Cancel, or because the alert was configured to automatically respond with Cancel, or because the Backup Exec Job Engine service was stopped.

Nothing is set to cancel nor do i see any services stopping.  I recereated a job from scratch with the same issue.  I have tried to change whats backed up, same issue.  I have searched online and tired many "fixes" or suggestions but none seem to help.  I checked our hardware backup device. an ExaGrid solution and  the job completes and both Deduplication and Replication are successful.  Only changes I that I made when the error came up is I installed DFS (Distributed File system) on the servers and added some shares to the backup.

I am using BUE 2012 with all the latest patches, etc.  Both servers and the media server are W2k8 with updates.  The Exagrid has their most recent firmware too.  I have a thrid W2k8 server backing up to the same shares without issue, and 6 more servers backing up to other shares on the Exagrid fine.

Thanks -- Joe

3 REPLIES 3

lmosla
Level 6

Hi JoeMCNY,

Can you see any errors in Windows events during the time of the backup?   Run a non deduplication of the incremental job.  Does it still fail with the same error? 

JoeMCNY
Level 3

Removing the duplicate stage allows it to run successfully.  I realize that the ExaGrid will do the dedup/replication without this stage but its nice having this stage there to monitor the progress.

Running another now with the duplicate stage back on to see double check for Widows events.

JoeMCNY
Level 3

Failed when I added the dup stage back.  All that is in the Windows Event viewer is the message the job canceled:

Backup Exec Alert: Job Cancellation
(Server: "XXXX") (Job: "XXXX Daily-Duplicate 2") The job was canceled because the response to a media request alert was Cancel, or because the alert was configured to automatically respond with Cancel, or because the Backup Exec Job Engine service was stopped.

For more information, click the following link:
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml