cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Engine terminates unexpectedly

Mike_Chavez
Level 3
Good morning,

I am having a problem with Backup Exec 9.1 4691. The backups are running during the night and sometime between 2:05 and 2:45 AM, the backup exec job engine terminates unexpectedly.

"Backup Exec Job Engine encountered a problem and needs to close"

Note, about a minute after the job engine fails, the Network Load Balancing service fails as well.

During the time of this backup, Exchange Mailboxes are being backed up. There are no remote servers in this equation. The tape drive is a local tape drive.

What could be causing this? Where should I be checking?

Thank you!

Mike Chavez
7 REPLIES 7

anoop_nair_2
Level 6
Hi,

This issue could occur due to some kind of corruption in the Backup Exec database. Hence suggest you to perform repair of the Backup Exec database.

Follow the steps below to repair the Backup Exec database:

1. Open BEUTILITY (C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT)

2. Add the Media server a. Right click on All Media Servers and choose "Add Media Server"

3. Right click on the media server and stop the services .

4. In C:\Program Files\VERITAS\BACKUP Exec\NT\Data copy the BEDB_DAT.MDF

5. In BEUTILITY Right click on the media server name and choose "Repair Database"

After completion of Repair Database process, ensure that all the services are started and you can perform an error free backup.

Mike_Chavez
Level 3
Thank you for the response, I shall give it a try!

Mike_Chavez
Level 3
Thank you for the post. I did stop the services and repair the database, but I came back this morning and the Backup Exec job engine failed yet again after about 57 gigabytes at 2:40 in the morning. Please help!

Relating to the database, I do see other options than 'repair'. I see 'Repair Database Indices', 'Check database consistency' etc. Would any of this help?

Thanks in advance!

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
Look at system and application events at the time of the service stopping for signs of some other process like virus scanning or Windows update causing some conflict. Next, try to determine which mailbox is being backed up at the time of service stoppage then perform a backup on only that mailbox to determine if service still stops. This indicates there is some mailbox corruption that is causing the service issue.

Mike_Chavez
Level 3
Russ, thank you for the response. Yesterday I deselected all mailboxes (while still leaving the information store selected). I want to see if the backups still fail without doing the brick by brick backups. Last night, however I got a cyclic redundancy error so I am replacing the tape. We'll see tonight if the job engine fails. Thank you,

Mike Chavez

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

We request you to update us on this issue.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be "assumed answered" and archived.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Archiving the post as per our previous reply