cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Operation - Backup Failed Error 0xE000FED1

shabbaranks
Level 4

Hi,

It seems this error rears its ugly head a lot. Ive been reading up and there doesnt seem to be 1 single solution for one single product. Heres my exact error:

- AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\servername\Microsoft Information Store\Second Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS Writer timed out (0x800423f2), State: Failed during freeze operation (9).

I have checked the vsswriters and there are no errors. I have also updated Backup Exec to the latest SP.

16 REPLIES 16

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

First things first...disable AOFO when backing up Exchange! This is suggested in the Admin guide.

Try the backup job again, and post the results.

Laters!

shabbaranks
Level 4

Hi,

This option is not enabled in any of our backup policy's. By checking I went to:

* Backup Properties

* Advanced Open File

Option is NOT checked.

Thanks

Dev_T
Level 6

If its server is W2003 on which we are getting this error, please install the VSS rollup patch http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940349 (reboot required)

hope this helps...

shabbaranks
Level 4

Hi,

No its not W2k3 its SBS 2008 - thanks.

shabbaranks
Level 4

The strange thing about this is its based on the same policy as a daily backup but the daily backup works where as the weekly backup doesnt??

CraigV

...OK...and if you create a new weekly job, do you get the same error?

If not, you possibly have corruption in your job. if it is a policy, it is as simple as going into the policy to delete the job concerned, and then recreate it manually...

CraigV

Hi shabbaranks,

Did you come right here?

Thanks!

shabbaranks
Level 4

Hi,

Sorry about the delayed reply. It doesnt seem job specific, weekly backups, daily backups all result in the same thing but not all the time. I will re-create the backup job and see what happens.

shabbaranks
Level 4

Still get the same problem. I have recently stopped the volume shadow copy which was running on both c: and d: of the server to see if the resolves the problem. After stopping both the backup completed - but its hard to say if this was a result of what I did. As the backup completes sometimes and not others anyway.

The shadow copy runs at 7:00 and 12:00 yet the backup runs at 21:00 so I cant see this causing any issues - can anyone else?

CraigV

...try upgrading to BE 2010 R3 and see if this helps at all...

shabbaranks
Level 4

When was R3 released? As I checked for updates on Friday and there was nothing - is there detail of what this release fixes?

Thanks

CraigV

It was released a couple of weeks ago.

You can check up on the release notes on the link below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC4044

shabbaranks
Level 4

Great thanks - will update the server and see how the backups go. As stated previously the fact we had shadow volume running on c and d and that I turned it off and the backup was sucessful - would you think this has an effect?

The shadow volume is scheduled and when I rebooted the server after a VSS writer time out the volume shadow service was running - even though the window for this had expired.

Thanks

CraigV

...1 thing you might also want to try is reregistering your VSS *.dlls in Windows.

I just had done the same thing on a server of mine last week that kept on giving me VSS errors. This has fixed the problem. Same situation...vssadmin showed all VSS writers as stable and running!

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70486

Try it, and run a small backup of either your shadow volume or your registry (it was the registry in my case).

If it succeeds, chances are good the issue is fixed. In my case, there was no need to restart the server.

shabbaranks
Level 4

I tried the re-registering job and it didnt make any difference. I also then re-created the backup job to see if that did anything and it didnt. The problem with this VSS error is that its not all the time - just every so often. Will see if release 3 fixes it.

shabbaranks
Level 4

Is Backup Exec release 3 an update to Backup Exec or is it a purchasable product?