cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Status remains Snapshot processing BE2010 R3

Luke_Cassar
Level 5

Hi,

I recently installed BE 2010 R3 and all of the patches on a server in order to backup this servers copies of our data onto tape. The data is all flat file stuff (no mounted databases or etc..) so it should be pretty simple.

I thought there was a problem with Snapshot Processing because the job status never changes from this and suddenly I received a completion notice from the job.. so the status never changes to reflect how much data has been backed up, and you cant really tell if something is running or not.

Is this a known issue? I had a google around and thought I saw one person mention this issue, but I dont know where the article went now (since I did not think that was my problem).

Operating system is Server 2008 R2.

Thanks,

Luke

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Luke_Cassar
Level 5

Thanks all for the information..

The VSS writers were not showing any problems and as mentioned (I think) the jobs do complete sucessfully. We also tried rebooting the server which did not initially seem to help.

It seems the culprit was a little simpler then I thought.. I still dont know why it is snapshot processing when the AOFO is disabled but anyway. As I am backing up historical data sorted into years, the first data we have are actually only very small (few hundred megabytes)..

I think that because the tape drive is so fast and there is so little data, the backup job was already finished before backup exec could reflect what was actually happening. As I have been moving forward in time and the backups are progressivley getting bigger, the status are starting to reflect what is going on and showing the amount backed up, etc..

Snapshot processing still hangs around for a while, but not as long before changing to 'Backup' and showing all the correct details.

Once again, thank you all for taking the time to respond to this issue.

Regards,

Luke

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should expand and look at the joblog to see how much data is backed up.

To see what files are backed up, create a restore job and check the selection screen to see what files are available for restore.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Luke,

Open up the job when it is running and see where it is running the VSS snapshot. Once done, run vssadmin list writers from a command prompt on the server shown along with your media server.

This will show if you have any errors with VSS, especially if any of the writers don't show Stable and Running.

If any of them do, a reboot of the server normally sorts this out.

Thanks!

DoubleEM
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Luke,

Do you get any error on Windows event logs?

Luke_Cassar
Level 5

Thanks all for the information..

The VSS writers were not showing any problems and as mentioned (I think) the jobs do complete sucessfully. We also tried rebooting the server which did not initially seem to help.

It seems the culprit was a little simpler then I thought.. I still dont know why it is snapshot processing when the AOFO is disabled but anyway. As I am backing up historical data sorted into years, the first data we have are actually only very small (few hundred megabytes)..

I think that because the tape drive is so fast and there is so little data, the backup job was already finished before backup exec could reflect what was actually happening. As I have been moving forward in time and the backups are progressivley getting bigger, the status are starting to reflect what is going on and showing the amount backed up, etc..

Snapshot processing still hangs around for a while, but not as long before changing to 'Backup' and showing all the correct details.

Once again, thank you all for taking the time to respond to this issue.

Regards,

Luke