cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job failing due to access denied to individual mails - job status question?

Level 2
Is there any way to configure veritas job status report to show another status other than failure when it cannot back up an individual mail.

Veritas at times is unable to backup individual mails in various users mailbox's. Usually the mail is corrupt or unreadable by the user because of a security isssue or the mail appears fine but veritas still cannot back it up.

We usually contact the user and ask them to archive the mail or delete it which is fine but it is often a time consuming and it causes our backup to report a failure.

if veritas can report this differently then it would help our auditing and we would schedule a monthly job to manually clean up the mails that cant be backed up.

Thanks

DaveMessage was edited by:
2 REPLIES 2

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Causes of these errors have been traced to (but not necessarily limited to):

* Anti-virus software accessing the Information Store at the same time as the backup, i.e. using the same Messaging API as Backup Exec does.(It is then recommended to stop Anti-virus software services when backing up the mailboxes).
* Multiple levels of embedded mail messages (a message attached to a message attached to a message and so on)(remove message)
* Automated system messages (undeliverable, over size limit etc.)(remove message).
* The message / attachment is really corrupt (can't open, view or execute)(remove message).
* Virus infected Information store (clean for virus).
* Very long subject lines (remove message).
* Very long attachment names (remove message).
* Very large attachments (might give out of resource like errors)(remove

Refer also to:

Title : Backup of Exchange mailboxes fails with final error code: "a000feab HEX Final error description: Corrupt data encountered."
http://support.veritas.com/docs/266219

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to the ‘answered threads’ pool.

Level 2
Thanks for teh answer. I suspect that it is anti virus that is causing the problem.

We have had a number of genuine access denied to file but they were due to a specific reason and we haven't found any since.

I will look to schedule stopping the antivirus service during backup if feasible.

Thanks

Dave

I will update the post to advise my resolution