cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job queued, flashes loading media

Grey_Howe
Level 2
I have 4 jobs that are all set to fire off as a weekly full backup on friday nights. Two are strictly file backups, one is for the UNIX servers and another for the Oracle servers. The 2 primary, Alpha and Beta, are set to start a 8 and 8:15pm respectively. I am running a windows 2000 server with an HP MSL6000 tape library. I've defined the library in to 3 partitions, 1 for cleaning, 1 for weekly tapes and another for my dailies. All jobs are submitted at medium priority.

My weekly jobs, however, are only allowing one job to run at a time, though when I originally set up the jobs, I got 2 jobs that night running as they should (both at the same time). Having removed the oracle and unix selections from alpha and beta, and split them out to their own jobs, the server refuses to run more than one job at a time. I can, however, run tests, import and export, and do other tasks. The beta, unix and oracle jobs are all queued. The beta job flashes 'loading media' but no actual work is performed. There is a tape drive available, but it seems to not want to use it. I canceled the other jobs and now beta is stuck in cancel pending. Alpha job is still running and should finish up in the next few hours.

How can I fix this so that my unix and oracle jobs fire off as soon as the alpha and beta are done, and why won't my alpha and beta run at the same time?
3 REPLIES 3

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Usually, in most of the cases, the "" error is observed due to configuration settings of Overwrite protection and append periods or if there is no free space on the media. Sometimes, this error happens if data to be backed up exceeds the capacity of the tape.
Please have a look at the technote below:
An explanation of the "Overwrite Protection Period" and the "Append Period"

http://support.veritas.com/docs/237374

The following guidelines will be useful to resolve this issue:
- Perform a small backup and verify if the problem appears for this backup. This will isolate the exact cause of the issue due to data size.
- Move the media on which you intend to perform an overwrite operation into Scratch Media and then configure the backup job.

- To isolate the exact cause of this issue, make sure that all the data to be backed up is accommodated on the respective media. Please ensure that there is enough free space left on the tape.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked 'assumed answered' and would be moved to 'answered questions' pool.

Grey_Howe
Level 2
I'll give this a go over the next couple of weeks with the suggested change to the media, however I already had 2 tb of scratch available in addition to a rough 1.5 tb of append availability. Alpha and Beta only use 2 tb each and Beta completed with a total used of 2.06 tb meaning that a sum total of over 3 tb were online and available for a 2 tb job.

Also, in the following paragraph, you use 'intimation' incorrectly. Per http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=intimation I would like to point out that I do not wish to be in a sexual relationship with you and I feel that my personal life has no bearing on this conversation. Further, I request that you correct this automated paragraph so as to stop soliciting other members of the forum.

> NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within
> two business days, this post would be marked 'assumed
> answered' and would be moved to 'answered questions'
> pool.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Thank you for your reply.

Please let us know the result of the suggested tests that you would be carrying out over the next couple of weeks.

As for the other issue that you have mentioned, we appreciate your concern and so would like to clarify that the word 'intimation' was not used as an 'adjective' here ('intimate' as per the link that you have sent) but as a 'noun'. You may like to refer the following link for more details on the same :

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/thesaurus?book=Thesaurus&va=intimation

However, keeping in mind your concern for the correct usage of the English language we are changing the automated system generated message.

Thanks once again.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.