cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jobs disappeared from BE 2012 Console and a warning is noticed towards the bottom left hand corner in the console "The query for JobView failed"

MrKristoff
Level 2

There is a known issue within BE 2012 where for whatever reason, jobs that were confingured in the console mysteriously disappear, and a flashing warning icon appears in the lower left corner of the application window that states "The query for JobView failed".  I have read in several posts that there was a specific hotfix for this issue and that Service Packs as early as SP1a and SP2 resolve the issue.

When I encountered this issue, I ran Live Update and was offered Service Pack 4 which I installed, then presented a hotfix which I subsequently installed.  However, neither of these installs resolved the issue as it still persists.

I have read in other posts that deleting records from the BEDB database in SQL resolved the issue, however, the posts did not specify which records from which tables needed to be deleted, and I am not comforatble with arbitrarily deleting database records without first knowing the impact a deletion will have on related tables.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how one might resolve this issue either through specifics on which table(s) to delete specific records from, or through another working solution that I have not mentioned above?

I am using BE 2012 64-Bit running on a Dell Server with Windows Server 2008 R2 installed.

4 REPLIES 4

lmosla
Level 6

Hi, To resolve this it is recommended to upgrade to Backup Exec 2014  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH210311   also Take a look at Backup Exec 2014 is Now Available!   and  Introducing Backup Exec 2014

MrKristoff
Level 2

lmosla,

Thank you for your response.  Although I can appreciate your zeal in having customers upgrading their software to the latest edition, I do not think that one should have to spend hundreds of dollars to "fix" an error  that is well known to and acknowleged by the developer, that a customer encounters in a previously purchased product.  I liken this to experiencing a Windows O/S Error and as a resolution to the error, having Microsoft tell me to upgrade to the latest version of their operating system, or encountering a Server error and being told by Dell or HP that to resolve the error, I need to upgrade my server to the latest platform.  A resolution would be something that actually fixes what is wrong in what the customer currently has.  What you're proposing is a complete solution replacement that does not fix the problem but rather circumvents it, costs more in time, effort, business impact, and money than a corrective action would, and could allow for the problem to persist even after upgrading if the root issue (corrupt database records/tables, server-to-server communication issues, etc.) is not corrected prior to upgrading.

Clearly, others who suffered the same issue were provided fixes through hotfixes, service packs, and other corrective actions for their existing 2012 versions and were not required to pay out for a new version, so I do not believe it unreasonable to expect the same.  Just because we experience the error a year or two later than many others does not make our need for resolution any less legit just because there happens to be a new version available for purchase.

Were it a support issue, I could understand an expense involved, but as I have seen mentioned in several other posts, this is a known and developer acknowleged deficiency within the BE2012 product and therefore the responsibility of the developer to correct, and correct not at the customer's expense.

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello MrKristoff,

This issue was fixed in 2012, apart from that if you have active support contract you can always have your product upgraded to latest version, you just need to contact licensing for getting the new licenses.

could you please let me know if this happens with all the jobs i.e what happens if you create new jobs.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The HFs released for this issue would prevent the issue from occuring in the future, however it does not resolve the underlying problem itself. And there are multiple reasons for this issue and upon identifying which one would apply in your case, appropriate sql queries (and/or other steps) would be used.

I would recommend you to log a formal support case so that we can identify the cause of the issue in your case and accordingly use relevant queries.