cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jobs queued even though media is available.

ahahum
Level 2

We just switched from a robotic autoloader tape library to Disk cartridge backups. Our disk cartridge device has 2 separate disk cartridges. 

At night, we put 1 disk cartridge in the device. 

We have 2 jobs that are set to start within a few minutes apart. Previously, the 2nd job would simply wait for the 1st job to complete, then it would start. 

With the new device, since it sees 2 cartridges(even though only one has a disk in it) the 2nd job sits waiting to have overwritable media inserted. 

I can acknowledge the alert with "Respond OK" and then the 2nd job will kick off and use the available disk cartridge. 

How can I make this happen without my manual intervention? I will only be putting 1 disk cartridge in per night except the weekends which will have 2.

I opened a support case, but the agent I spoke with didn't seem to clearly understand the problem and only offered workarounds - either configure the jobs to write to only 1 of the devices, or disable the device that doesn't have media in it.

I feel like the application does not have the logic built in to not try to run the job on a device with no media in it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Click on the Backup Exec Yellow button > Configuration and settings > Alert Notifications > Alert catagories

Highlight Media overwrite

Check automatically clear after "1 min"

Respond with "Yes"overwrite.jpg

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You could configue the auto response so that when the alert is thrown backup exec responds with ok and the next job kicks off 

L http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH49560

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Click on the Backup Exec Yellow button > Configuration and settings > Alert Notifications > Alert catagories

Highlight Media overwrite

Check automatically clear after "1 min"

Respond with "Yes"overwrite.jpg

ahahum
Level 2

Bingo, thank you both for your prompt answer.  I remember those settings, but haven't needed to use them in a long time.

Now, my next question is why did 45 minutes on the phone with support not yield me the same results? (rhetorical question of course)

Thanks guys!

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Glad we were able to help.

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. If you can messege me the case number I will pass on the feedback.

Thanks again.