cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just restore from the tape in the drive

Andrew_Walmer
Not applicable
I haven't had much experience with Backup Exec, but it appears to be able to do far more that I'll ever need. All I want to do is restore a file from a tape. I have the tape in the drive, and when I go to restore, it wants me to select from dozens of different media created on different dates at different times. Hell, I don't know when the media was created! I guess it was created when I stuck the blank tape in the drive and did a backup. I just want to restore from the dang tape in the drive. Is there a secret check box? If I could browse what's on the tape, I could select the file I need. Surely someone else has wanted to do just this simple thing....Or is this going to require a day long training session and extensive study of the manual? Sorry...I'm just exasperated...this seems like it should be a simple thing.
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
NTBackup would do this if you shut down all BackupExec services and then cataloged the tape, but BackupExec requires you to select the file(s) to be restored from it's on disk catalog.

If you don't know when the tape was created, how do you know that the data you want is on that particular tape?

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Have you tried inventoring the drive and cataloging ? If not then perform the inventory operation so that Backup Exec will detect that tape. Then perform the catalog job on it and now you will be able to see the files that you backed up from the Restore tab.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.